When's a good time for the first play-date??

I have no idea when it's a good age to introduce my son to other babies! He is almost 4mnths old now, & he loves interaction with everyone around him. A few of my friends have had babies that are around his age (within a month or so of his age) & I was wondering if they can have play-dates this young. Would they interact with eachother at all?? Or is it better to put it off until they are more aware of their surroundings & can do more stuff?? Any advice at all??

WannabeMommy87

Asked by WannabeMommy87 at 10:24 AM on Feb. 5, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Playdates @ this age are more for mom then him anyway. Just ask that if other kids have colds or are sick that the other moms not come & infect your little one. Have fun & watch as they watch each other. My dd also enjoys watching older kids & trying to copy what they're doing.
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 10:31 AM on Feb. 5, 2010

• Even if they don't interact it can be nice for you and your friend - just be sure you schedule it for a time that is good for the babies. Getting together with one or two friends with similar age babies is a great way to start socializing your baby, and as he gets older he will enjoy the other kids company even more. Around age two is when they really start playing games together rather than just playing side by side.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:29 AM on Feb. 5, 2010

• The local La Leche League group I go to has play dates on the weeks they don't have meetings and often after the meetings, too. My daughter is one of the younger babies. I've been going to the play dates since my daughter was six weeks old. And mostly so I can get out of the house and have adult interaction besides with my husband. We only moved here recently and I got pregnant right away so I didn't work and I don't have any friends here. So this helps me to make some local friends. Plus then when she does start playing there will be other children she'll already be familiar with.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 10:45 AM on Feb. 5, 2010

• We've been going on playdates since my daughter was about 2 months old (initially only with other preemies who had not been exposed to school-aged children). The playdates were really just for my friends and me, with the babies spending much of the time napping at first. Now, they do have short periods of interaction-mostly just staring at one another. My daughter is now 5 m.o. and we just joined an infant massage class. She was VERY interested in the older baby next to her who was trying to crawl to her.
    Danyellimom

Answer by Danyellimom at 1:02 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• Playdates before age 3 are for the moms...

Answer by rkoloms at 3:53 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• I agree with the others, it's more a playdate for you than for the baby. I wish I would have had a friend or two to have playdates with when my kids were that young. I was new to the area and didn't really know anyone.

Have fun on your playdates :)
    Cafe Jenn

Answer by Cafe Jenn at 4:23 PM on Feb. 5, 2010