can kids playing sports be cheap?

I have a almost 7yr who wants to play softball, but its $140 four only four weeks 3 times a week..
this is too much for me.. any suggestions? I live in the suburban area of IL ( midlothian)

maiahlynn

Asked by maiahlynn at 10:39 AM on Feb. 5, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• There might be scholorships for " low income" check it out. YMCA's are usually a great price. We paid 50$ for softball and saved 50$ because we are voluntering.
    jbirchard

Answer by jbirchard at 4:34 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• We signed up our 7 yr old for basketball, it was 35.00 for 6 weeks with the YMCA. He loves it and it was really inexpensive! I know it's not softball but maybe check with your Y and see if they have any inexpensive sports to play..
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 10:41 AM on Feb. 5, 2010

• Look through your parks system or the YMCA. Our official leagues (like Little League, soccer leagues, softball, etc) tend to be in the $100 or more category. Our Little League, for example, is $215 for a season. On the other hand, there are sports clinic through our parks department and the Y that run for a fraction of the cost. Granted the structure is a bit different, but if cost is an issue, it's worth looking into.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 11:45 AM on Feb. 5, 2010

• another great reason for Canada - we get a tax rebate of $500 per kid per year for extracurricular sport activities.
    Anonymous

another great thing about the US- we get a $1000 per kid tax credit for having them live in the house.

:0) -Sorry I had to do it.

Check with local churches. Some of them have great sports camps.
    Anonymous

• WOW that's a lot. My kids signed up for softball just last weekend. It's a full season with games and everything. It was $50 for the first kid and $15 for every additional child after that. They do however have to sell 1 box each of 50 - $1.00 candybars to raise money for the uniforms, but the $1.00 candy bars are so easy to sell.
    fatcat0908

Answer by fatcat0908 at 10:11 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• check out soccer. My kids played last year, $90 each, included, a ball, uniform, team pictures, a trophy at the end of season and 3 (free) pizza partys! google AYSO and see whats available in your area
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:40 AM on Feb. 6, 2010

• wow, that does seem a bit pricey. My son plays baseball through our local parks and recreations dept. and we only pay $40 for the season. That includes his jersey, which are usually paid for by the teams sponsor. My other son is playing soccer, and it's the same thing, $40 includes the jersey.
    mauspond

Answer by mauspond at 9:20 AM on Feb. 6, 2010

• I think thats about what ours costs up here too...not sure my girls aren't into outdoor sports (rolling eyes) - they're into gymnastics which is $400 for 13weeks (2hours a week)
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 2:34 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• that price was through my park district..
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 11:26 AM on Feb. 7, 2010