How can I satisfy my childs hunger when he eats all the time?

Is it normal for a child with down syndrome to be so hungry all the time. My 3 year old eats more than my 6 year old! I feed him plenty and he is always still hungry? He goes to the fridge to try and open it, luckily he can't yet. He cries and signs eat all the time. He acts like he is dying of starvation. I already asked the doctor about this and she kinda just blew me off. She just said that he doesn't have the ability to know when he is full. I love our doctor so getting a new one is not an option. Is this normal? What can I do to make him feel full? I feel bad for him, and am wondering what it will be like as he gets older and can get his own food.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:49 AM on Feb. 5, 2010 in Health

• My son doesn't have DS but at age 3 we went through the same thing..... I *insisted* on a pediatric nutritionalist getting involved and I kept a food journal for 1 week. Their diagnoses? He was eating almost 700 calories a day too many. NO KIDDING! I paid to hear what I already knew.

So I implemented my own rules... some foods were ready for him 24/7, no matter what. Nuts, carrot coins, an ice cold water bottle with his favorite disney people on it, and salt free whole grain pretzels. He's now 5 and 46 pounds and doing well.... and still has occasional appetite increases. I just try and add something to the "anytime foods" occasionally.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 11:02 AM on Feb. 5, 2010

• This may not help but I have seen a show on discovery health about a family with a child with DS and they had to lock up the food, they also said it was because his body didn't know the feeling of being full. Try some research and see what comes up and see if someone has found something that helps..
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 11:56 AM on Feb. 5, 2010