Is it possible for my dog to start liking cats?

I have three dogs.. 2 dachshunds and 1 pekingese. My pekingese loves cats. But he doesn't hate anything that I'm aware of and my dachshunds have never been around cats, however, if she sees one in the front yard she barks. BUT she barks if a leaf blows too.. I had wanted to get a cat for my SS who really wants it but I'm afriad we'll get it, and he'll get attached and then have to get rid of it when my dogs hate it. Does anyone have a dog that maybe used to didn't like cats but likes them now?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:00 AM on Feb. 5, 2010 in Pets

• Dogs will get used to having a pet cat around, and also the other way around, they can certainly coexist and become friends eventually. I have two dogs and two cats who at the begining didn't like each other much , after a while they realized they both lived in the same household and belong to the same family and started the friendship process. Yes, it is possible!

Answer by older at 11:07 AM on Feb. 5, 2010

• I have a cat and two dogs. The cat tolorates the dogs. However my big dog (dane) loves the cat. She sees her the tail starts wagging and she pin her down to give kisses.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 11:07 AM on Feb. 5, 2010

• We have 2 dogs and 3 cats. My dogs and cats get along...
    But my dogs dont like cats they dont know...and the cats dont like dogs they dont know. They just like each other. They even lay together and sleep.
    auntietotty

Answer by auntietotty at 11:57 AM on Feb. 5, 2010

• Most dogs know what is part of the family and what is an intruder. If there is a strange cat walking in the yard while they are inside and not able to "defend their territory" they will act ridiculous. But if it's their cat, totally different. Expect that the cat will rule the roost.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 10:24 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• I would just introduce them slowly, maybe have a room for the cat for the first couple days and let the dogs and cat meet a few times and get to know eachother at their own pace. Expect some curious dogs and a hissing cat for the first few times but after that they should be good. Your dogs are small so the chances of them hurting the cat are less then if they were big dogs. GL
    staciaw

Answer by staciaw at 11:06 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• I think there is a good chance that the dog will tolerate the cat but honestly there is no guarantee.
    Anonymous

• My dog loves our cat so much he tries to mate with her....really weird.
    IzzeAddy

Answer by IzzeAddy at 5:33 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• We live on a farm and we have a border collie mix , a puppy and a bassetthound terrior mix and a cat it is possible for cats to getalong with dogs and visa versa. They all sleep together it is really cute, but just like kids they all get into a little tiff and then I have to get after them but all in all they get along really well.
    cinthiny20

Answer by cinthiny20 at 11:22 AM on Feb. 7, 2010