cat, bread, gross (TMI)

We can no longer leave bread, hamburger buns, etc out... we're forced to lock them in a high shelf.

We have a male cat who will be 6 in March and was fixed around age 1 1/2 give or take. Within the last few months he, for lack of a better term, rapes baked goods. He mounts the loaf and humps the hell out of it and licks, bites, and tears into the packaging. It's really quite horrifying ... if you try and stop him before he's done he shows his teeth and growls terribly.

Vet appt. isn't for another 12 days, looking for thoughts?

hibbingmom

Asked by hibbingmom at 11:08 AM on Feb. 5, 2010 in Pets

• rolling on floor

Anonymous

• lol...that is a new one for me I have never seen a cat hump on anything but I have seen them bite of plastic bags for some reason they like the taste of plastic try leaving a walmart bag or any plastic bag laying around (just make sure he doesn't get too wrapped up in it he suffocate himself) and watch how they go at it...something about the taste of plastic they like in your case he likes it with bread..lol

cat

Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 11:11 AM on Feb. 5, 2010

• OMG, that is so funny and gross!!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:12 AM on Feb. 5, 2010

• LMAO~!...wish you had a video of that...my cats love bread too, but not THAT MUCH~!
    chocolatluver

Answer by chocolatluver at 11:21 AM on Feb. 5, 2010

• it might have been funny 5 years ago when bread wasn't like $3 a loaf!!!!!! I refuse to use it (even for french toast) after he's gotten into them. ew ew ew ew

my husbands theory is that the vet had maybe left 1 testicle in by accident when he was neutered ... we actually did take some footage of him molesting my sons teddy bear.... please excuse the mess! I just had experimental surgery on my eye to lessen my migraines. While I was hospitalized for a week and my husband bought the kids a Wii and cleaning went off the priority list. I am less concerned with the bear and more concerned with the bread.

Notes:
    1) he DOES have an erection when he does this, which for a neutered cat is very odd
    2) turn the volume up and note the aggressive noises and teeth showing he does
    3) the biting and licking of the bear is similar to sex/foreplay/mating in cats
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOPVNShWbsM
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 11:47 AM on Feb. 5, 2010

• PS ... note the intense hip thrusting at the end... it's actual S-E-X not to be confused with the "kneading" things most peoples normal cats do..... cats who aren't sexual predators like mine :(
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 11:48 AM on Feb. 5, 2010

• My cat used to looove humping granny square blankets and yes he was humping, not kneading. BIG difference. He also molested a friend's teddy when she spent the night.
    Anonymous

• I'm sorry but i had to laugh when i read this. This definantly sounds behavioral so you might try a comfort zone with feliway plug in. They work pretty well but if it does not work you might talk to your vet about putting him on valuim or one of the othe drugs. Other then that i don't know what else to tell you.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 6:38 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• That's funny! Mine will rip into the bread loaf and eat the bread, but he doesn't hump it.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 10:12 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• Thanks for the youtube of it-- bread-cat sex would have been wet-my-pants funny.

My DH says the cat would be better off with a little privacy, so he could finish. I've never seen a fix male cat act like that. I'd ask the vet to draw his blood and test for hormones.

Could there be a female cat in heat somewhere in the neighborhood who might be rubbing her scent in your yard?
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 10:20 PM on Feb. 5, 2010