My SIL is SO lazy, or am I expecting too much?!?

Ok this is my living situation, I live with my SIL, her Hubby and her 2 month old almost 3 months, My Hubby and my 14 month old. It's nobodys house we rent, but all decided to save money and just live together so we can go half and half on everything. Ok So my SIL is a stay at home she doesn't work, I take my daughter to a my BIL's wife to babysit her while I am at work. My SIL in the only one that doesn't work in that house. So would it be wrong of me to expect her to clean the house? I am not talking about my room, or do the laundry just to like wash the dishes, sweep, etc. I am not expecting her to cook for everyone either, but at least pick up after herself. I work full time I pick up my daughter cook dinner and wash all the plates that were used. I clean the bathrooms on the weekends as well, it's not I don't do anything around the house. Now is it wrong of me to expect this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:08 AM on Feb. 5, 2010 in Relationships

• OP: That's what I'm saying, I'm not asking her to DO EVERYTHING. But she should be doing something in my opinion, I usually do the chores on the weekends since that is my day off, it's not like my daughter is there all day making messes. I shouldn't have to ask her or even make a master chore list. If I have a day off due to a Holiday or soemthing I clean, I don't sleep in all day and do nothing. Ugh it's just so frustrating lol and my Husband says that she just had a baby she can't do much my ass lol.
    Anonymous

• No but this should have been discussed as a family when you all decided to move in together. Everyone would know what was expected of them

Answer by admckenzie at 11:11 AM on Feb. 5, 2010

• You should bring this up to her. In a nice way say since I cook how about you do the dishes tonight. Or since I clean bathrooms how about you sweep & dust this week
    mommorgan

Answer by mommorgan at 11:14 AM on Feb. 5, 2010

• anyone you live with should be expected to clean up after themselves.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 12:27 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• You should have a master chore list so that everyone in the house knows what is their responsibility and what is not. No, I don't think she should have to do more chores than you just because she's a SAHM - I'm assuming they pay the same amount of rent as you do? If that's the case, then the chores should be split evenly just like the rent.

Answer by missanc at 12:46 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• Call a family meeting. Draw up an agreement as to who does what and when. It would probably work better if the chores rotated like every other week so that no one ends up being solely responsible for any one chore. Make a chart for a month at a time, then meet again and re-evaluate. Or maybe there's something that she really enjoys doing and would like to assume full responsibility for that one. The only way you will solve this is to sit down, talk about it, make a plan and try that for a while. If the first one doesn't work, then try a new plan. You must communicate with whomever you live if these kinds of issues are to ever be solved.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 2:26 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• You can have a talk with everyone who lives in the house about everyone sharing fchores but I doubt it will turn out well. If she likes to sit on her butt and not clean up after herself, she probably won't enjoy the fact that a meeting is being held to discuss that fact, even though it's directed at everyone. Honestly though, I think it might be best to not live with another family, even relatives. I know you said you're trying to save money but there should probably be a time limit on this arrangement. This kind of thing rarely works well enough that everyone is happy.
    Anonymous

• OP: Trust me the lease is up this August and it can't come fast enough lol.
    Anonymous