What can make a dog stop eating?

My dad's 7.5 year old dog was just re-admitted to the vet. It's been 48 hours since she's eaten anything. I do believe she's been drinking water, but she hasn't eaten anything. We even tried giving her plain chicken instead of dog food, and she wouldn't touch it.

This started last week. She started getting sick every time she ate, and so my dad took her to the vet. She stayed there for three days, did x-rays and could see nothing physically wrong with her stomach, and they got her to eat some (not much, but some) canned food without throwing it up. They sent her home, and she stopped eating any food at all. At first she'd chew it up and spit it out. Then she stopped doing that. And she was eating biscuits when she first got home, but now she's even refusing those.

Anyone ever have this problem before? We're hoping for good news from the vet, but we're still worried.

kittyhasclaws

Asked by kittyhasclaws at 11:13 AM on Feb. 5, 2010 in Pets

• Almost anything I can think of they should have caught on an x-ray (bloat, intestinal tear, blockage, etc). If it were parvo, I'd think they'd be able to figure that out easily too. I hope they figure it out. Might be doggie depression or something. I'm not sure. Good luck!
    Anonymous

• My first thought is that the dog ate something ans it is stuck. But it should have shown up on the x-ray. Did they do a barium study when they took the x-rays? If not they might want to take the dog back and have that done. Sometimes certain things will not show up on x-rays. Viruses can do this, Pancreatitis might be another possibility but if the vomiting continues they may need to go in and do an exploratory.  What food is the dog on? Has the dog been on that food all along? One possibility is that the food is moldy. They should take a close look at the food and maybe try a fresher bag.

KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 4:19 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• Id take your dog to another vet for a second opinion. Perhaps the first vet missed something.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 7:09 PM on Feb. 5, 2010