No child left behind?

Just wondering if anyone sees any merit to this program, and if not, why it hasn't been repealed yet? How do we go about getting it repealed?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:19 AM on Feb. 5, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I have to say it was a good idea in thought, but is not working-at least for my family. My SS is ADHD/ODD and has a lot of trouble in school. He has a 504 but it is not helping the way we thought. He is not being "left behind" in the sense that he is failing and being held back, but he is not learning and not doing well and he is getting passed anyway. Each year he is farther behind because he is not truly learning. He gets help to pass a specific test or project, but since he does not learn the skill and retain it the next time it comes up, (mulitpling, dividing, spelling, writing an essay) he can't do it on his own. He is in 6th grade now and he is probably at a 4th grade level-but he is getting pushed through because of the "no child left behind". As far as fixing it-I need far more room than I have here to say how it needs to work.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:35 AM on Feb. 5, 2010

• Good intended im sure but needs to go...should of been thrown out long before now
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 11:45 AM on Feb. 5, 2010

• I agree with tnmom. NCLB has left many behind. Overall, I think while intentions were good~this is the perfect example of BIG federal government intervening where state and local governments primarily belong.  Bush, Kennedy, et al missed the mark on this one... jmo

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 12:19 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• NCLB was a huge mistake. It was bipartisan with GWB and Ted Kennedy at the wheel, and it was a major crash-and-burn. I really feel the IDEA behind it was right, but the implementation and reaction by the schools should have been better understood. All in all, it failed to deliver.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 1:03 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• NCLB is a crock. One of the many reasons why I homeschool!!
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 1:24 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• OP here... So, how do we get rid of it? Start a letter writing campaign? I've got 2 boys not yet in school and I'd like to do something about this before they get there (we're talking about homeschooling as well, but even so...)
    Anonymous

• Anon at 1:27, I seriously doubt you can get rid of it. If you'd like more info about homeschooling, please PM me!
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 1:32 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• I don't know if we have a chance, Obama is now backing NCLB.

Obama on No Child Left Behind by Anna Weinstein

It looks like No Child Left Behind, one of the most hotly debated education issues of the decade, is here to stay—though not without some major changes. While most would agree that the intent of NCLB was both positive and important, many educators, researchers, and policymakers believe there are major flaws with this legislation.

http://www.education.com/magazine/article/Obama_Child_Left_Behind/

mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 2:29 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• Maybe writing your congressman. I think that no one thought about all the way. The kids that need to stay back are just passed. Although, you do have the right to hold them back. Anon :35, why aren't you holding the school accountable for them not really doing their jobs? My son has a 504 plan, although he could be in gifted classes. He has Aspbergers and ADHD. He's on medication, but he's also 11 years old. He gets caught up in little things, and can't focus on what he needs to get done. We are working with the school, his psychiatrist and his therapist. You have rights, and if he needs the extra help to LEARN and not to just PASS, then you need to push the school and his teachers to do their job.
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 3:24 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• * Bethsunshine Beths... NCLB is a crock. One of the many reasons why I homeschool!!

again, Beth, we agree.

autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 3:32 PM on Feb. 5, 2010