Do you think....

The way child support is calculated should be changed? My idea was for each parent to bring in their bills. ( The mother bring in the ones that she has to have to provide for the child- rent statement, electric, heat, water, sewer, trash, cable etc. And the father bring in the ones that he needs to provide for him self. ) Or vice versa depending on who has a the child. Then the city you are living in would already know the average price of rent so if you live in luxery they could deduct whatever would be considered to be extra. And then divide it by the number of people who are living in the custodial parents house to determine the non-cust. portion of what he would have to pay. I only wonder if they would infact work better because say you have 5 people living in a home and the mother only makes 7.00 an hour but the husband makes 25 and provides everything, why should the father have to pay more because she is low income

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:24 AM on Feb. 5, 2010 in General Parenting

• There will always be ways to manipulate child support unfortunately. I have a few friends who will never get what they should from deadbeat dads and I have a friend who's husband is a wonderful loving father but could barely make ends meet because of the child support payments he was ordered to make while his ex-wife took his daughter and moved to Hawaii on his dime.
    Even if they change it, people will still find a way to get more than they deserve or pay less than they should. :(
    flitpixie

Answer by flitpixie at 2:19 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• cont... and being provided for by her husband. This is all just a what if, nothing on here is the exact case of whats going on with us, I have no Idea if her husband even works
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:25 AM on Feb. 5, 2010

• The dads don't have to pay enough, at least alot of them.

In the past, when I was single, I had to give up child support because when I was getting help, they included, his lousy 25.00 per week and even if it was not there every week. The state included that as my income. There or not 100.00 was included each month as income, and I would have to go to pantries for diapers and stuff... It stunk.

Now thank goodness, I am well he is gone, but those were some stinky times. When I tried to collect child support.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:30 AM on Feb. 5, 2010

• OP here- The screwy part of it is, is that they dont have her income on file because he was already giving her 400 a month cash when they first split so when they went for support thats what they agreed on. Now who knows if she makes more then he does but thats what she was getting when she was making 8.25 and she started a new job at 10.00 an hour 2 years ago. So we arent sure if he is paying what he should be or more.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:34 AM on Feb. 5, 2010

• I think it is fine how it is. It is not fair to go off of bills because there are ways to manipulate those, and if the custodial parent really is not doing well she should go ahead and turn off some lights behind her and not let the water run while she brushes her teeth.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:36 AM on Feb. 5, 2010

• If you don't agree with what is being paid hire a personal lawyer and take it to court.
    kitten_shuga

Answer by kitten_shuga at 11:37 AM on Feb. 5, 2010

• that sounded a bit confusing and like it wouldn't be very fair. Honestly, I think for the most part the way it is done here works pretty well considering how difficult it is to be fair. there is a lot that goes into determining child support and it is hard to make it fair. Even though my SKs aren't here all the time, they have their own bedrooms here, we pay for 1/2 or more of school expenses, extra curriculars, medical stuff, etc. the have more than enough clothing here that we provide for them. they have toys here and books, and shoes, and all of that. We have PLENTY of expenses because of the kids whether they are here or not. I know that a lot of those expenses are suppose to be considered when they make the judgements, but I dont think its really done fairly. Also, the system in my opnion is better set up for when the non-custodial is not as involved. like why should anyone pay if custody physical and legal is joint?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:41 AM on Feb. 5, 2010

• Im not saying that she doesnt get the correct amount, but I do think something should change if their is more then just a mother a child living in the house hold. One thing that gets me, truly gets me, is we pay 200 a month to provide medical when she doesnt even use it because their son has medicare, and how she gets that is also beyond me because shes married and makes more then 20,000 a year and her employer also offers medical
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:47 AM on Feb. 5, 2010

• if you think that she is lying to get State Aid (Medicaid and such) I would report it.

also, my SK's primary insurance is through their Step-father, but we were able to get Secondary Medicaid for them. So, the medicaid takes care of all the co-pays and such.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 11:54 AM on Feb. 5, 2010

• I would say if the two of them already agreed on $400 per month that leave it at that..if you go back to court...he may end up paying more.
    Anonymous