Disagreements on how to spend our tax rebate.

My hubby and I are taking a little break from eachother (which is a whole different story) and I didnt work at all last year so im not doing any taxes, but my hubby did. He wants to save the money "in case of emergency" (we didnt have any "i.c.o.e." money for the past year) but I want to pay off my medical bills from when we had our daughter. What do you think we should do?

oldsoulmom

Asked by oldsoulmom at 11:29 AM on Feb. 5, 2010 in Money & Work

• Def. pay off the old medical bills. They aren't going anywhere you might as well do it while you have the money.
    3beautbabies

Answer by 3beautbabies at 11:40 AM on Feb. 5, 2010

• Save and pay a little. Then make a payment plan, you should always have some saved.

Don't leave your self broke, you never know.
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 11:34 AM on Feb. 5, 2010

• Depends on how much it is. If it's substantial then I would leave some emergency funds and use the rest to pay off bills. If it's not much then it probably doesn't matter. Maybe split it and you do what you want with half and let him do what he wants with half.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:34 AM on Feb. 5, 2010

• hmmm.... can you go on a payment plan for the medical bills and still be able to make everyday expenses? If so, then put the money away in case of emergency. If your credit is taking a beating due to unpaid bills, then take care of the bills. Maybe you can do a little bit of both? Take a hunk off the bills and have smaller payments and still have a little tucked away in case you need it.
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 11:36 AM on Feb. 5, 2010

• save some, always "pay": yourself first. but put a good bit on paying the medical bil
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 11:52 AM on Feb. 5, 2010

• How much is tax return and medical bill?
    Anonymous

• is your medical bill collecting interest? if not, put tax return in some kind of intrest-bearing account and make a payment plan for the medical bills. good idea is to keep $1000 in an emergency fund and leave it there.
    mhaney03

Answer by mhaney03 at 1:55 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• I agree with with mhaney. As long as you aren't paying fees on the medical bills and they haven't been sent to collection thus showing up on your credit report as bad then I would put the money in an interest bearing account and continue making payments on the medical bills. They actually say you should have 2 months salary saved just in case.
    Anonymous