Is this some kind of phobia?

While plugging some thing into the socket I get this thought in my head that it is going to shock me even though I know it won't.

Oh and the garbage disposal everytime I use it I feel like something is going to jump back out and hit me in my face(while using it) even though I still have the strainer in the drain.

What could it be a type of phobia or what? Never has anything happened I guess I am always thinking of..What if?...I hate that of me :( Weird I know :(

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:33 AM on Feb. 5, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I call it the "what if?" syndrome!

Answer by admckenzie at 11:35 AM on Feb. 5, 2010

• I have the same problem. In my case, I get panic attacks and anxiety problems. Have you had a recent tragedy? Mine got worse after I was assulted- nothing felt same, so little by little I'm making my way back into things. Post traumatic stress disorder can happen from lots of things.

nothing to be ashamed of- our minds and bodies are incredible instruments that work in many ways to deal with things. This could be happening to you for many reasons.

I tried therapy, which did help some, but chinese medicine with acupuncture has worked best for me.
    please dont' want to see about help, I did and things only got worse trying to deal with it all on my own.
    Best of luck to you-
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:39 AM on Feb. 5, 2010

• Me too, I always think.

What if??? I can't control it and it is annoying... fustrating, and everything on top of it...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:44 AM on Feb. 5, 2010

• I wouldn't call it a phobia unless it affects your quality of life.  I would call it a healthy respect for potentially very dangerous appliances.  And that's a good thing:)

beeky

Answer by beeky at 12:05 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• I'D CALL IT HAVING A CONSCIENCE AND BEING "AWARE" THAT THERE IS A CHANCE SOMETHING COULD HAPPEN!
    ELIZABETHSMO902

Answer by ELIZABETHSMO902 at 12:23 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• Not phobias at all unless they stopped you from plugging things in and running the disposal. We all use safety measures and have random thoughts run through our heads with certain things....a completely human thing to do.
    You are very 'normal' in my book. :)
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 12:41 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• these are anxiety "disorders" I used to think that the wheels were going to go flying off of my car while I was driving down the interstate...Lexapro helped dramatically. :)
    chefronswife

Answer by chefronswife at 1:17 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• depends on how severe your reaction is to these thoughts...i have thoughts like those all the time...my husband swears that i'm just a worrier but sometimes it's scary the things that pop into my head...it could just be that i have an overactive imagination too...idk
    diablaherida666

Answer by diablaherida666 at 5:21 PM on Feb. 6, 2010