7 month old has a cold

We are taking him to the doctor later today, but I was wondering do doctors prescribe medicine other than tylenol for babies with a cold?

BrittanyD07

Asked by BrittanyD07 at 11:34 AM on Feb. 5, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my doctor didnt...just tylenol and lots of fluids.
    oldsoulmom

Answer by oldsoulmom at 11:35 AM on Feb. 5, 2010

• Not really, no. Cold medicines can mask important symptoms while making the baby tired or sluggish or not hungry. Tylenol for fever, fluids, and cool mist humidifiers is what is generally recommended. A cold in an adult isn't really cured by meds, it won't be in a baby either. They just treat the symptoms.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 2:03 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• my doctor prescribed a decongestant for Kennedy once when she was under a year and had a cold... a very mild one. Cleared her right up :) It just depends on the doctor I guess. Who is your pediatrician?
    LoganAndKennedy

Answer by LoganAndKennedy at 3:16 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• We will use a humidifer later and we go to dr. reynolds on bay area. and he did prescribe something but idk the name of it.
    BrittanyD07

Answer by BrittanyD07 at 4:13 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• Usually its just a mild decongestant and I am sure it will help babys symptoms. I hope he feels better soon!
    LoganAndKennedy

Answer by LoganAndKennedy at 7:10 PM on Feb. 6, 2010