I have this uncanny feeling it's Autism - Should I bring it up or just let it go?

My husband's aunt had her 5th child a few years ago (he's almost 2.5yrs old now). My husband & I have this strong feeling that her son may be suffering from Autism. Her other children have eccentric & hyper personalities, but this seems different, even though she says he's just being silly. He has yet to start talking (he knows a couple words - yes, no, & baby - but the rest of his communication is soley grunting & yelling "auh" noises), he is also very violent - he hits constantly - people, furniture, walls, the floor, etc. We are very worried for both him as well as his mother (she seems very frustrated even though she brushes it off). I'm wondering if maybe we should tell her of our concern or if we should just let it go? Is there an appropriate way of going about this??

WannabeMommy87

Asked by WannabeMommy87 at 11:43 AM on Feb. 5, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• However you go about letting her know, be prepared for her to be defensive and deny that there's anything wrong. No parent wants to hear or think that there even might be anything wrong with their child, but it's good to put a bug in her ear and then when she calms down and has a chance to think about it maybe she'll get it checked out.

Answer by missanc at 12:37 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• Well, I'm pretty much a shoot from the hip person and would ask straight out if they've looked into it. The child's welfare is far more important than mom's tender feelings.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:45 AM on Feb. 5, 2010

• be very very very careful. But the PP is right, the child's welfare is more important
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 11:49 AM on Feb. 5, 2010

• atfter 5 kids, she might not have time to look into it and being her kids are all hyper she really might not know, but yeah, I would tell her carefully, say Hey I was reading this article and thought of billy, or whatever the name is - then find an article where there are the same symptom of things he does.
    Anonymous

• I agree with everyone. Odds are good that she already "knows" but is in denial. and the fact that her other children are "eccentric" is curious, what do you mean by "eccentric?" And, is it possible that she has already brought up her concerns and the DOCTOR has brushed HER off?
    TempestRayne

Answer by TempestRayne at 12:56 PM on Feb. 5, 2010