What would you do if your 4 month old goes to sleep at about 7 but likes to wake up between midnight and 2? How would you get him back to sleep?

My method of bringing him to bed with us and nursing him and then going to sleep doesn't work anymore because he fusses all night. Ideas? What do you do that works (or even if it doesn't work - I'm just curious)?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:47 AM on Feb. 5, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• At 4 months, with my son, I would have been SO happy if he would have done this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 11:59 AM on Feb. 5, 2010

• my baby goes down at 9 and wakes at 11 or 12. Then wakes betwenn 3-5 and is up 7-8am
    Fussing is temporary. If my baby is ovrtly fussy I get up then try again in 30 min to an hour. Sometimes it is as simple as she was too hot, or wanted to lay on her left rather than her right. I just go with it. We nurse and cosleep
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 12:07 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• I would nurse him to sleep... if he's fussy in bed (after a diaper change too, sometimes that makes them uncomfortable)... try putting him back in his own bed. It may just be teething or another phase, though.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 12:08 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• My daughter would wake from her last nap at 4 pm and not go to sleep again at all no matter what I did until 2 or 3 am almost every night. She started going to sleep about 9:30 when she turned two and gave up all naps. It was a hellish 2 years.
    Anonymous

• make sure you're not turning on bright lights or talking too much. My 5m.o. goes to bed at 8p and wakes up between 1 and 3 every night. I change her, feed her, and put her right back to bed before she falls asleep. She will "talk" a little in her crib for about 5 minutes, then falls back to sleep when she realizes that no one else is interacting. I do the changing and feeding via nightlight so I don't have to turn on any extra lights, and I only speak minimally in a soft voice. When she goes back to bed its until anywhere from 6:30 to 8am.
    Danyellimom

Answer by Danyellimom at 12:59 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• If my daughter wakes up 2, I just feed her and she goes back to sleep. Also, if you use a pacifier, try putting it in her mouth while he is fussing and hold it there for a little bit. My daughter likes to hold on to my finger while I hold the pacifier in her mouth and then she will fall back asleep. Just some ideas.
    moviemom22

Answer by moviemom22 at 2:07 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• Keep things dark. But here's the good news...seven to midnight means he's sleeping through the night, which means five hours straight.

You can also consider sneaking that bedtime back a bit if it doesn't make him over tired. But really? He's normal and what you're doing is fine.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:51 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• I would work towards keeping the baby up later in hopes of more peace at night.

It could be the start of teething. You might try gum massage, baby massage, or calming music on cd.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:45 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• That's pretty much how my son has slept since he turned 3 months old...however he goes to bed around 8 and usually wakes up anywhere from 3-5am. All I do is nurse him, change his diaper, and bring him in the bed with me until he falls back asleep. Sometimes he gets a burst of energy (rarely now) and I would just play with him a little bit....yes it was SOOOOO hard....but it would tire him out and he'd go back to bed. Or I would rock him.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 11:08 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• Oh and I should also add that I don't turn on bright lights when I feed him and I talk very quietly and softly. That way he doesn't get too stimulated and excited.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 11:10 PM on Feb. 5, 2010