Potty training

So my 2 1/2 year old has been wearing panties all day at the sitter the past two day. She is home with me today and she didn't want to put panties on. I made her and she has gone potty a few times. I want to have her try like every 30 min but she throws a fit and will not go to the bathroom. What should I do?

mommylove620

Asked by mommylove620 at 11:57 AM on Feb. 5, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• If it were me, when i was potty training my son and he would throw fits? i chose to NOT push it too hard. but if he had an accident he had to help clean it up.
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 11:59 AM on Feb. 5, 2010

• I found that if I drank something when my ds did, I had to go to the bathroom when he did. My ds went on strike when I started taking him to the bathroom, too.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 12:56 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• I don't think there's anything wrong with "pushing" -- I believe consistency to be key. You don't have to force her to sit on the potty though... instead, you can keep her in the undies and let her have an accident -- watch her closely and get her to the potty once she starts having the accident. It's more effective than having them sit waiting for something to happen -- that seems more like time-out, so not surprising that kids tend to resist that. I think once you go to the undies it is very confusing if you switch back. If you're willing to do a little bit of clean-up (not a big deal in the grand scheme), you can really help her to make the association and understand that the potty has a very specific function... and that only she can learn how to keep herself dry, which I'm sure she will find desirable... Don't make a big deal out of the accidents... just remind her calmly that pee goes in the potty...
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 12:56 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• With my two year old I let her be butt naked till she really got it and was invested. The bigger deal you make it the more she will resist it. If she is butt naked she will mostly likely dislike the mess it makes on her, thus encouraging her to go. Hide the diapers and only use them at night. When you go out, wait until she has gone or get those Gerber plastic undies, they hold the pee in really well but doesn't really absorb it, so be careful taking them off. I gave one gummy lifesaver for trying until she got it then for successful potties. Baby steps. Also making her try every 30 min, is to often. Do you go every 30 min? Give her a few hours, and all the fluids she wants. Then she will have plenty to try with. Yes it will mean messes, just go with the flow and loads of praise when she even sits on the potty. After she starts getting it, up the anty for the praise. She has to do this not you.

DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 1:01 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• If she is wearing panties at the babysitters, it means she knows when she needs to go. Kids don't want to sit and wait for pee to come out. Give her a chance to do this on her own. Just put the panties on, make the potty accessible, and leave her be. Odds are, she may have one accident, and then be fine. Don't stress.
    whiteroses82

Answer by whiteroses82 at 2:22 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• my son is a little younger & right now he is in his undies as i type. we;ve had one accident today & when he poops on the potty he gets a hostess cupcake that is sittin on the sink (still totally wrapped) so he can see it....I keep reminding him he is in his undies though and when he needs to pee go on the potty....
    DDTSMommy

Answer by DDTSMommy at 2:36 PM on Feb. 5, 2010