Can I make stuffed peppers ahead of time and freeze?

And if so, I assume I assemble them and then freeze before baking, right? Will they end up super mushy and watery?

gramsmom

Asked by gramsmom at 12:08 PM on Feb. 5, 2010 in Food & Drink

• I par boil the peppers first - don't let them get mushy, but cook them until they just turn a tad soft. Stuff them with cooked filling and let cool completely. Wrap well and freeze. To thaw - put in the fridge for a day, then bring to room temp before baking. Bake at 350 for about 30-40 minutes, till heated through. Top with some shredded cheese and extra sauce - if you want - and bake until melted.
    5BabyBees

Answer by 5BabyBees at 2:15 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• nope. bake them, and THEN freeze. all you have to do is reheat them and they're ready... stick them in the nuke box to defrost, and then bake them for a few min. Or continue to nuke, but they are not as good.

you can do this with just about anything. but stuffed peppers hold up well. In fact, I do that often.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 12:13 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• I would make the stuffing/ filling ahead and freeze it. Then, thaw it and stuff a fresh pepper before baking. Peppers go limp when cooked from frozen.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 12:13 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• Yes you can. I googled this, LOL, and most of the forums i found said it's okay. Lots of people freeze them and take them to lunch at work.
    CinderAmethyst

Answer by CinderAmethyst at 12:14 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• I always bake them then freeze them for later, then toss them in the oven to reheat when we are ready for them. I'm not sure if how they would turn out if you were to leave the meat raw then freeze. If you had to thaw the meat to put them togethr, then definitley bake before refreezing.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 12:15 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• Well, I would cook the filling first and then stuff, I would never stuff them with raw meat, but actually, I'm using Boca Crumbles instead of meat, great for the diet =) I thought maybe I should fill them, then freeze without the sauce on top, thaw, cover with sauce and then bake, but you guys are saying make the whole dish as is, sauce and all, then freeze, right? Then thaw and bake? I have a bunch of fresh green peppers now, so I can't just freeze the filling, gotta use these peppers up.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 12:36 PM on Feb. 5, 2010