getting rid of a 3 yr olds obsession with the sippy cup

My daughter just turned 3 in dec and is so attached to her night time cup she drinks from a big girl cup but she prefers the sippy cup and wont go to sleep without it I have tried to tell her no but she kicks and screams. but she just started in the last week going to the potty during the day and in public all in 3 days no diapers but nightime. If I take the cups out of the house so i can not give in will this make her regress with the pottying? Please help I dont know what to do I would like to start night time training

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:34 PM on Feb. 5, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• For me I wouldn't get rid of them yet. If she just started potty training give her time to get used to that. You don't really want to focus on nighttime training for a while after day time training anyways. After she is doing fine with the day time training a month or so then I would get rid of the sippies.
    mazonmom

Answer by mazonmom at 9:49 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• throw them all out...
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 12:38 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• just get rid of them, it will not take her long to acclimate. try creating a new bed time routine... and just don't make a big deal out of it.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 12:39 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• My first daughter had an obsession with the sippy cup too. It was like a pacifier for her. So we treated like a pacifier when we got rid of the sippies. We told her that she was a big girl now and the sippies were just for babies and it was time for her to say goodbye to them. We talked about over several days to try to prepare her and then one day we threw them all out. It was rough at first, but it all turned out well.

My second daughter hasn't ever used sippy cups. I've offered them, but she prefers a regular cup. Funny how my kids have such different cup preferences. lol
    Anonymous