How early can you switch to a toddler bed.

My one year old is still in her crib but she is dangerously close to being able to pull herself over the top. She steps on whatever is in the crib to try and prop herself up. We wanted to change her conversion crib intto the toddler mode but didn't know how early was too early.

Jodeye

Asked by Jodeye at 12:44 PM on Feb. 5, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• as early as you feel is appropriate. My DS was in one at 16 mos
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 12:45 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• my son was in a toddler bed around a year. as soon as they become monkeys and wont stay in the crib, its time to change over
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 12:57 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• You can do it if you need to, but it may be a bit of a headache at that age, trying to keep her in bed. Instead you can get a "crib tent" that keeps them from climbing out, or just make sure there's nothing she can climb on (bumpers should be off by this point, and you don't have to give big stuffed animals. My daughter never really climbed out, though... she moved from a crib to a twin at almost 2.5 and it was such an easy transition and she treated it from day 1 like a crib -- she waits for us to come and get her.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 12:59 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• is the crib mattress set on the lowest hight adjustment?.. when does she try to get out, at bed time or when she wakes up? there is really no set age! Just when ever you feel she is ready, but be prepared the 1st few nights she will get up out of bed many times before she gets the hang of it that bed time means stay in bed! My son was very easy, he only got up out of bed 1 time, i just put him back in bed and tell him its bed time and he needs to stay in bed to sleep, and that was it, i never had to tell him again! But my daughter would get up 4-5 times a night before she went to sleep and that went on for about a week!! My advise is to try it out! and keep toys put away so she doesnt get distracted by them and want to play! good luck!!
    Anonymous

• Just to add some info...My daughter currently won't sleep in her crib. She will only sleep in our bed. She can be out cold and as soon as I lay her down in it, her hand goes down and she pops right up and cries. She goes right to sleep on our bed. I think we caused that because we used the crib as a place to put her while I showered or slept in, so now she associates it with play and entrapment. My thought was to change it to a toddler bed and switch bedrooms (baby #2 on the way) to give the bed a new look and maybe a fresh start on sleeping training.
    Jodeye

Answer by Jodeye at 1:14 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• Oh. If she has never slept in her crib, I would go ahead and convert. You may want to borrow a copy of No Cry Sleep Solutions for Toddlers and Preschoolers -- Elizabeth Pantley -- from the library. If you want to transition her to her own bed, that is.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 1:25 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• Both of my children were in toddler bed before they were one ( they wouldn't stay in their cribs and kept climbing out) it became more dangerous to keep them in the crib than the toddler bed just make sure it has a rail even if it only covers part of the bed that way there is something to keep her from rolling out... as for transferring her from being a co-sleeper to sleeping on her own sorry I do not know it may be hard to get her to fall asleep by herself because she is so used to sleeping by someone.. Just like I have a terrible time sleeping with out my husband in bed. But when you decide to transition her, you could try and read her a story or two while laying (as well as you can) with her until she falls asleep. I wouldn't recommend the crib tents at night just in case of an emergency but during the day when you are alert it would be fine if you opt to have her try and sleep in the crib.

jessica408us

Answer by jessica408us at 6:20 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• My DS sleeps with us and he will be 12 mos next Tuesday - We converted his crib into a toddler bed a month ago (he was walking at 9 mos so it made sense). Now he goes in there and climbs on it and "reads" books with his 5 year old sister. I'd say go ahead and convert it over! Not only does it change the scenery in the room but it will allow your child to get used to her bed on her own terms while you prepare to try to get her to sleep in her own bed. That is if you really want to - my daughter was the same way and she is five years old still sleeping in bed with us (Thank Goodness for King Size beds!). We decided not to push her and now she has agreed to try to sleep in her own bed when summer hits so she can be completely out of our bed before she starts Kindergarten in the fall. Our son is not so bad though - most times I can lay him down and he will stay asleep (but only in our bed, not his own) at nap time.
    MilMom04

Answer by MilMom04 at 3:36 PM on Feb. 8, 2010