Is anyone's DH home all day b/c of jobloss?

Your DH is home all day/night due to long term jobloss. Nothing in our local state area for jobs. A very tough, rough time economy here. Its wrecking havoc on marriage and our lifestyle. Times are overwhelming! Anyone else dealing with this? Cabin fever. Being snowed in in our rural country life. Help! I need solutions, ways to cope. Etc... Moving isn't a option. We baby sit for our grand children. That's a real help or else our children couldn't work. But everyone's hours or jobs are cut here. Businesses cutting back or going out of business. Do you think its harder for people in their 50's to find employment?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:05 PM on Feb. 5, 2010 in Money & Work

• It is harder for people in their 50's to find employment. My step dad was laid off for months, found a new job, moved to a new state, and was laid off 6 months later. He turned 60 yesterday, has a college education and literally decades of experience.

My DH is laid off, also college educated, but in his 30's. It's hard for everyone right now.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 1:10 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• With so many people out of work, it is alot harder for people in their 50's to find jobs, because there are so many 20's and 30's out there looking too.
    robyann

Answer by robyann at 1:14 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• Looking for a job is a full time job. How is he structuring his job search? Does he have an up-to-date Linked in profile? Does he research a company before sending a resume and tailor his resume and cover letter to the position and company? Is he attending networking events?

There are lots of great tips in the CafeMom Job Hunting Moms group: http://www.cafemom.com/group/102837 

Answer by rkoloms at 3:38 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• Mine has been since April, and it's making him nuts. He's been on LOTS of interviews, but no offers yet. And he just turned 50. It IS harder as you get older, especially if you work in a tech field where there are so many young kids willing to work for a quarter of the pay that had been usual.

rkoloms' advice is all spot on....he has been doing these things, which helps, but he's still got cabin fever.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:56 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• Mine is home quite a bit because of job loss. He lost his job unexpectedly in October, and has put in many applications. He found a job and worked for a few weeks in January, but was fired for staying home with our son when he was sick (we were sharing the load, because I'll get kicked out of my R.N. program if I miss too much). It especially drives me nuts when I can't find a place to study with no distractions. He doesn't understand that I can't concentrate when he keeps coming over and trying to get my attention while I'm preparing for a test, etc.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 12:33 AM on Feb. 7, 2010