homeless shelter, volunteering as a family...

I was curious, is there anything that a family w/ young kids can do? I figured even my 5 and 3 year old could like, pass out napkins or put cups on a table but do they have B.S. laws/regulations like no kids around food in soup kitchens, etc etc?

hibbingmom

Asked by hibbingmom at 1:36 PM on Feb. 5, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• There are more kid "safe" activities that are good for their age group. They can sort like champions, I'm sure. Food pantries get huge boxes of mixed items donated. They need to be sorted then counted then put on shelves.

Generally, no one under 16 is allowed in a commercial kitchen bc of health department regulations. But every charity will have slightly different "rules" to help volunteers do their job.

Good for you!
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 3:31 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• depends on the shelter and depends on what meal you volunteeer for. the diinner crowd is kinda raw at some
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 1:49 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• I agree it depends on the shelter. The shelter that I do the most work for is a women's and children's shelter and they do allow children to help. I think just like with anything else it has to be age appropriate. I take my 5 yr old when he's donating his toys to the children there. I just wanted to say that I applaud your efforts in helping those that live in a shelter.

clapping

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 2:23 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• There may be liability issues with a child that young. The foodbank we volunteer at has a cutoff of (I think) 8 for stocking shelves and packing bags. There is a fantastic soup kitchen, set up as a restaurant, that has a cutoff of 12. You need to phone each facility.

Answer by rkoloms at 3:35 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• When I was working as a social worker I had some good friends who worked with the homeless. They didn't allow kids under the teen years to volunteer. The reasoning was for liability issues... in case of violence, or communicable disease, or issues like that. There are a lot of ways to get kids involved volunteering though- even encouraging them to donate used toys and clothes to a shelter, sorting donations, especially in 'casual' food banks like those offered through community centres and churches... good for you for teaching the kids to be giving!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 4:38 PM on Feb. 5, 2010