How can I get my son with Autism to not go to bed with a drink

My son is 31/2 years old and he won,t stop going to bed without a drink at nite. He wakes up 2 times at nite for a drink and I don,t know what to do to get him to stop needing a drink.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:34 PM on Feb. 5, 2010 in Food & Drink

• what kind of drink is he waking up for?
    My DS is allowed to keep a cup of water near his bed
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 2:46 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• My 4 year old also goes to bed with a cup of water. He wakes up and drinks during the night. He could never go without it, but he stays dry at night.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:05 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• Nothing wrong with letting him have a drink of water at night. If you really want to get him out of that habit, just quit giving it to him but be prepared for a fight and other interruptions in his routine. IMHO it'd be best for everyone to let him take water to bed with him.
    Anonymous

• I have a ten year old Aspie who needs his glass of water by the bed. Unless something is being harmed by it, leave the routine alone, OK?

Answer by gdiamante at 3:44 PM on Feb. 5, 2010