13 months old, carseat question

I have a 13 month old who weighs 21.7 pounds. I'm confused. Is it ok to switch
her to a front facing carseat? I have s britax, but most websites say to wait until 30 pounds.
Did you guys switch them or wait when yr toddler was 1 and 20 pounds?
Thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:00 PM on Feb. 5, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• the new AAP recommendation is to rear face to the limits of the seat
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 3:04 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• I've always turned mine around when they turned 1. They've all been 20 lb's when they've turned 1. The were all tall also which made rear facing uncomfortable for them because of their long legs.
    jreneei

Answer by jreneei at 3:12 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• I turned my kids seats forward once they hit twenty pounds. But it would probably be best to follow the manufacturer's instructions.
    CinderAmethyst

Answer by CinderAmethyst at 3:19 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• i agree with jreneei. height has a lot to do with it. i put my daughter in a front facing at 1yr 2 wks, 21lbs. my rear facing car seat said until 24 lbs. my daughter is now 18 mo and just got to 24 lbs(had some problems with weight), she cant be in a rear facing one. if your baby is too long for the rear facing then you should change it.
    leksismommy

Answer by leksismommy at 3:22 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• i have a britax. my 18 month old weighs 23lbs and she is still facing backwards, i'll switch when she is 2, even if she isnt 30lbs yet.
    Anonymous

• when they turned 1 and were 20 pounds I flipped the seats around. but #2 wasn't 20 pounds til almost 18months - she HATED being backwards (she gets motion sick)
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 3:34 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• A mom posted this in one of my groups both of these links answered alot of my questions about which way to face my daughter. I hope it helps :)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_s2mE5ZVeQ
    http://www.carsafety4kids.com/rearfacing.html
    Emma7-11-09

Answer by Emma7-11-09 at 3:39 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• well its 1 and 20 but thats a just a minume. my dd stayed rear facing untill she was 33 mts,. she was 36 inches and 31 lbs when i turn her to FF. extended rear facing is alot safer is not law but it should be. my ds is 11 mts and he truns 1 in 2 wks and he will be rearfacing until he either reaches 35 lbs or hits the carseat height limit
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 4:06 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• my dd hit 20 lbs at 6 mts. at 1 she was 24 lbs
    piwife

• Your child meets the requirements to turn her around. If she is fine sitting rear-facing, I'd leave her. If she screams the whole carride, I'd turn her. GL! : )
    mickstinator

Answer by mickstinator at 4:11 PM on Feb. 5, 2010