I don't understand my electric bill!!!! wth? for real?

I don't use electricity all day except maybe an occasion load of was (which I usually wait until after 8 at night to do and always use cold water) and the baby monitor when the baby naps.... we don't even watch tv until she goes to bed at night after 8. We use energy efficient light bulbs... and I leave all unused appliances unplugged... oh and our heat is always set to 67 (whch we have gas heat anyway... and a gas stove too, btw) So why is my electric bill still about the same as it was in the summer (when we ran the ac then)????? I am perplexed. I already called my electric company and the lady was just rude and didn't help me... she said the stoves pilate is run by electric and the heat is ran by an electic fan even though they are both gas (and that was the only explanation I got) so how come our friend and his family live in a 5 BR house and have a $50 bill and we live in a 3BR apartment and we got a $140 bill????

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:12 PM on Feb. 5, 2010 in Money & Work

• OP here: so what are we doing wrong? Could there possibly be a mistake on the electric ompany's part? and anyone got any more tips for us to lower our bill... something that we haven't already been doing?
    Anonymous

• My electric bill has my gas included maybe that is what it is..

kjfamily

Answer by kjfamily at 3:14 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• most electric companys are scammers. they win you will always lose. u have to pay or they cut off your power..
    Anonymous

• turn off you comptuer at night. not only does that save a lot of electricity, it helps keep hackers out. they cant compromise your computer while its off.
    Anonymous

• Our electric company bills on actual usage one month and estimated usage one month. The estimate is based on what was used the previous yr. Is it possible they do the same with you? If that's the case you could end up with a very low bill next month.
    jreneei

Answer by jreneei at 3:17 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• You can phone the electric company for an audit

Do you use regular bulbs or compact fluorescent?

When was the last time you vacuumed the coils on the refrigerator?

Do you unplug appliances not in use?

Do you use a slowcooker?

The electric company may charge higher rates in the winter when less electricity is being used.

Answer by rkoloms at 3:20 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• Depending on where you live, it's possible electric rates are higher in the winter. Also apartments are horrible for having air leaks and having hardly any insulation therefore your heater is probably running a lot more often than your friend that lives in a house. Even if it is gas, the fan is running more often. Are you having a really cold winter? That can also make a difference.
    The electric bill shows what your usage was. Was your usage any different from the prior month? Does your electric company show the usage from the prior year that you can compare last year's usage to this year's for the same month? Our bill last month was the highest it's ever been, but we had almost a week of really low temps.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 3:21 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• unplug everything that you do not use. and when your not using it, even if it is off... UNPLUG IT!! bc if its plugged in... its costing you.
    Anonymous

• Was that from an actual read or an estimation?

If you are really curious, you can unplug EVERYTHING in your house, pull the fuses, etc and then go look at your meter. If the dials are still spinning it is quite possible that you have an electrical leak. It is possible for this to happen.

Also, do you and your friend have the same electric company? Service fees and taxes for different companies can be different. This month my services fees and taxes were higher than my actual electric consumption charges.
    Anonymous

• the price of actual electricity fluctuates = it doesn't cost the same amount now as it would in the summer.

hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 3:36 PM on Feb. 5, 2010