Is there any problem with letting you kid sleep with a pacifier?

I've avoided it, except when we're away from home. I worry that if he's sucking through his nap, he won't be getting a deep enough sleep. But sometimes, like today when Daddy put him down, it has extended his nap time so much (he's a 30-minute napper). It's such a relief, but is it a bad habit? (he's 4 1/2 months)

Adelicious

Asked by Adelicious at 3:19 PM on Feb. 5, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• The only downside is that if they get used to sleeping with it, they won't be able to sleep with out it, and they make wake several times during the night if they lose their paci. If you do want to use a paci, I would buy a LOT of them, just so you have extras, and also remember to replace them every month.
    twin_mommy

Answer by twin_mommy at 4:23 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• Nope, nothing wrong with it. Like the PPs said, its actually recommended because it helps with SIDS. The sucking they do is for comfort and I've even noticed my almost 3 year old still does it when she sleeps (she never took to the binkie though). They just worry about the pacifier once they start getting teeth because they think it'll mess with the alignment of their teeth. My oldest had his for 2 years and he's got beautifully straight teeth but I think they are worry about the 4 year olds running around with them! lol!
    things_not_sane

Answer by things_not_sane at 4:27 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• nope, and it has actually been shown to reduce the risk of SIDS
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 3:20 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• Nothing wrong at all....
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:21 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• I only let my daughter have hers during sleep time. And like the previous post stated, it readuces the risk if SIDS. That is what my Ped. told me!
    saysmom

Answer by saysmom at 3:31 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• I don't think so. We took my daughter's pacifier away during the day, but she still gets it at naptime and bedtime.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 3:34 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• I don't know first hand as neither of my kids wanted the pacifier but I have also heard it can reduce sids.
    Cafe Jenn

Answer by Cafe Jenn at 3:55 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• nope like 1st pp said it helps reduced the risk of sids. both my kids slep with their paci
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 4:03 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• According to infant safety organizations the only safe pacifier is a one piece pacifier. Pacifiers with more than one piece can come apart and the baby can choke to death. You don't want to put any string or anything on the pacifier to try and keep the pacifier in the baby's mouth.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:21 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• My oldest had one for 2 years and my youngest has one at 14 months. My middle two were never interested, but if definitely helped my oldest and youngest sleep longer! When I heard/read that it reduces SIDS, I was sold on giving it to my youngest. At around 6-9 months we restricted its use to the crib and car, and now it's just the crib. There is nothing wrong with a paci!

Answer by missanc at 5:22 PM on Feb. 5, 2010