cover letter and volunteer as experience

I am applying for a company. The job description does not say who to send resume to just submit resume. How would I address the cover letter? Is To whom it may concern to formal?

I have volunteered for a company for 6 years. One of those years I had a small 10 hour a week paid position. Would I separate these on my resume? Or would it be better to to list experience and put on there I performed a temporary position for a small time?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:22 PM on Feb. 5, 2010 in Money & Work

• Yes, To Whom It May Concern is appropriate. If you are referring to two DIFFERENT companies, then yes, separate them.
    KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 3:27 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• Address the letter: Dear Hiring Manager (to whom it may concern is way old school). Be sure to do your research on the company, so you can craft your coverletter and resume to fit the job and description. Reach out to your Linkedin, and other networks, to find a contact in the company.

Your resume should be either functional or chronological; don't try to combine the two, it will look sloppy.

There are lots of great tips in the CafeMom Job Hunting Moms group: http://www.cafemom.com/group/102837

Answer by rkoloms at 7:15 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• Also, based on the wording of your question, I strongly recommend having someone proof read your letter and resume; your grammar is not great.

Answer by rkoloms at 11:12 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• thanks for the low blow, I don't really proof anything on message board, but thanks for the slam.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:08 AM on Feb. 6, 2010