Is this normal for a 2 year old?

My niece is almost 2 1/2 & lately she has gotten to wear she doesn't like anybody but her mom. She doesn't want anybody to put her in the car but her mom and so on. She is around my in-laws alot & adores them & she tells them to get out of the car & to go home & that she doesn't like them. She is also telling my husbund (uncle) that she doesn't like him anymore. My daughter never done this so is it normal?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:30 PM on Feb. 5, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• yep... my DS is 4 and daddy is not allowed to brush his teeth...
    it is a control thing.. kids express control over things they can because so much is decided for them
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 3:32 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• It sounds like she's just with her mom too much. If her mom can go out shopping more with out her plus leave the a room more often so that husband is in charge of child eventually child will wear down and accept others. Two year olds are very very controlling and demanding. It's when their realizing they have a brain and can choose to command a parent, usually mom, to do as commanded.

Been through that too. And kids will do it over and over. My3kids 20's, teens:: during childrearing years up to and in highschool in hindsight it just makes more sense for parent to recognize who's older and legally allowed to rule -a two year old? a thirdgrader who wants a cell phone? a middle schooler who wants to date in seventh grade? a 10 grader demanding to drive cause their age allows it even through academic grades maturity doesn't? The parent's older and allowed to rule not the kid.

Disciplining now makes discipli. later easier.
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 3:40 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• both my girls are/were like that. it was because they were so used to me doing everything for them. i didnt get much help with doing the everyday things for them (diaper changes, baths, feedings, putting in car seat, brushing teeth, potty, bed time, etc.) so they dont want anyone else helping them. i guess they think i'm the only one who can/should be helping. so when someone decides they want to help or just play, they get mad & say "no! mommy!" my oldest is getting a little better. she's really sweet to everyone, but when it comes to our daily routine, they both only want to deal with mommy. it gets frustrating. i'll ask my husband for help, but since he's only offered to help on a rare occassion, they want nothing to do with him so i end up doing that favor i asked for myself.
    Anonymous

• It is normal. They're asserting themselves in a dominate roll. Most kids do go through this, just some more outward then others. It usually passes. Her mom just needs to redierate that she is being rude and it isn't nice to say those things.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 4:03 PM on Feb. 5, 2010