Baby turning blue.

My friend's baby keeps stopping breathing while she is sleeping. Anybody have any idea what could be causing it? She's tried a few doctors already, and we're getting a little fed up with the lack of answers we're getting.

tyrelsmom

Asked by tyrelsmom at 4:19 PM on Feb. 5, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Sleep apnea. It happens a lot with preemies. I'd definitely be going to EVERY dr around until they gave me answers! They have little monitors you can hook them up to at night that'll alert you if they stop breathing.Have her ask for one. Definitely a scary situation!
    things_not_sane

Answer by things_not_sane at 4:21 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• i just saw a story about SIDS... and they think it is b/c of low serotonin levels. this might help? http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/02/03/sids.serotonin/
    MommyBulger

Answer by MommyBulger at 4:21 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• Possibly this http://www.sleepeducation.com/Disorder.aspx?id=70, infant sleep apnea?

acollins09

Answer by acollins09 at 4:23 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• She was a preemie, kinda. 36 weeks 2 days. So not super early, but not really full term, either. She has an angel care monitor that she got from a friend. The thing is, what I forgot to mention in the question at first, is that this baby is 9 months old, and it JUST started happening.
    tyrelsmom

Answer by tyrelsmom at 4:26 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• Read the link in my answer, it indicates things that will make sleep apnea worse.
    acollins09

Answer by acollins09 at 4:30 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• sure SIDS sleep apnea. My husband has severe sleep apnea - it is very very scary.

Your doctors should be testing her and putting her on a monitor that goes off when she stops breathing. When I was pregnant with my first baby a two month old baby in our neighborhood died of sids. I was six months pregnant and devastated for that family. I met with our soon to be ped and asked for testing of my own baby once born.

She said it's just impossible to test all babies but if there were ever a sign of breathing difficulty to bring baby in immediately or to e r.

I was still scared to death and when our son was born I used to set my egg timer for every twenty minutes to check his breathing -omg I was seeing double that whole first year. Then finally a feather and tickling one of his bottom feet periodically during sleep made him stretch w/o waking up but adjusted his breathing.

Your friend needs a pediatric pulminary workup!!
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 4:31 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• If the baby stops breathing while it is sleeping she should take the baby to the emergency room. Keep taking the baby to the emergency room every time. Try to get someone other than just the mother to see it happen or get it on videotape. Doctors can dismiss mother's accounts if there is no other evidence.

I had a baby that stopped breathing several times and once I had to do CPR. It was before they used monitors as much so I held him while he napped and slept at night with him on my chest, kangaroo style. He also had seizures. They weren't able to find a cause for the breathing problems that stopped when he was around a year or the seizures that stopped when he was around 3.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:31 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• Sleep apnea and she needs to see a pulmonologist NOW. The baby needs a monitor so that mom knows when the breathing rate decreases and a monitor will sound. You need one as soon as you can get the baby there.
    coala

Answer by coala at 5:56 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• Besides apnea, it could be a heart condition, or less likely even a neurological issue.
    Anonymous