Screaming Fits When She doesn't get her way.....HELP!!!!!!!

My BF's little girl just turned 3, and since ive met her... she throws these horrible fits when things don't go her way or we tell her to do something she doesn't want to do...She screams at top her lungs, stomps her feet, pouts, and tells us no, no matter what we do. We have tried time-out which only works for a few minutes until the next time she does something, tried talking to her in calm voice...My BF and me are at a lost on how to control her fits, and its driving us both Crazy!!......Can anyone give us some good adivce on what we could try that might help us out with these situtions???? THANKS

new_step_mom_22

Asked by new_step_mom_22 at 2:02 AM on Jun. 26, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I would suggest that next time she throws a fit, that you bend down to eye level with her, and calmly explain the full reason why she cannot do/have what she wants. Tell her that sometimes big girls cannot get everything they want b/c big girls have more responsibilities, then ask her if she's a big girl. It most likely wont work the first time, or first 5 times, but consistantcy is the key.
    lynenedubbels

Answer by lynenedubbels at 8:11 AM on Jun. 26, 2008

• I did that crap when I was a child. What finally stopped me was being totally ignored. They just walked away and left me there on the floor of the grocery store. (not left me left me) Try nt giving in and ignoring her.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:51 AM on Jun. 26, 2008

• If my son starts to throw I fit, I calmly tell him I will talk to you when you calm down. Then I simply walk away from him. I will not talk to him if he is screaming or crying.
    mamaofwildboys

Answer by mamaofwildboys at 9:28 AM on Jun. 26, 2008

• He needs to be spanked. Saying that, it should only be for flat-out rebellion, disrespect, and danger. When these things happen he needs to be spanked to where it hurts bad enough for him not to want to repeat that action. I know it can be hard but it works. If you accept disrespect and rebellion at this age it will get worse. Don't ever spank in anger. Spankings that don't hurt don't work. Talk to him and tell him that talking to you that way or that disobedience is completely unacceptable. Be very firm with him. When he doesn't listen tell him what the consequence will be if he doesn't obey you. Then if he doesn't fulfill that consequence immediately. Don't keep giving him extra chances. That defeats what you're trying to do. Consistancy and immediacy will make the most difference. God bless.
    jackimci

Answer by jackimci at 11:16 AM on Jun. 26, 2008

• well, I guess Im the B*tch here. My kids started throwing a fit..I walked away and it stopped. I did it once with the oldest, twice with the youngest...never happened again. My grandkids a little diffeent story. She was 2 when we took her so she already had some BAD habits. Still, I refused to give in and ignored her. Kids will do what works. If you ignore tehm they will try something else. When the fit stopped I alwasy talked to them calmly about 'unacceptable behavior" and reaffirmed if they trough a fit for something they most certainly would NOT get it.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 1:40 PM on Jun. 26, 2008

• yikes..Throw a fit. Sorry hate typos and should proofread more..LOL
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 1:41 PM on Jun. 26, 2008