The flip side on letting your child have a cell phone.

From the Associated Press:

"A woman has been arrested in Ventura after her daughter called police to report that her mother was driving recklessly.

"California Highway Patrol officials say the Santa Barbara woman was taking her 11-year-old daughter to a school field trip Thursday morning when the girl called her older sister on her cell phone because her mother's driving was frightening her.

"Officer Steve Reid says the older daughter called the CHP and said her mother was on migraine medication and refusing to pull over. She told dispatchers her mother was weaving on U.S. 101, traveling up to 90 mph and driving off the road.

"Officers stopped the woman without incident in Ventura.

"Reid says she was arrested on suspicion of misdemeanor driving under the influence of drugs and child endangerment."

Thank goodness no one was hurt, and kudos to those kids for making those calls.

Asked by gdiamante at 4:32 PM on Feb. 5, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• "Reid says she was arrested on suspicion of misdemeanor driving under the influence of drugs and child endangerment."

I'm not sure the DA will be able to sustain those charges. She may not have known that the medication would impair her that severely, or that she knew she was driving recklessly. I'm glad no one was hurt though, and her kid did the right thing :)

SRiveroC

Answer by SRiveroC at 4:41 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• I agree- like most things in life- there is good and bad in cell phones. I decided the right time for my kids to have a cell phone was when there were several times where I wished they had one. This happened at age 12 for my older and age 10 for my younger.
    Here is another little story: I once read that a child molester said if a child has a cell and is on it, they would pick someone else to target- they did not want to risk it. Who knows if that is true, but it is one of those things that made me say hmmm.....
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 4:48 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• Wow.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 4:58 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• I just shared this in another question. Another reason I don't think cell phones are always bad:
    I'd never just hand over a phone and say "here ya go" w no explanation and no rules, but the reason I want my girls to have a phone is so that if they make dumb decisions (or their friends do), they can hopefully call me and I will come help them if they are in trouble. Maybe if I'd had a cell phone at age 15, I wouldn't have been raped when I stupidly followed along my cousin and her friends who asked some older guys to buy them alcohol and went to their apartment. I didn't want to go, but I didn't have a ride home and no phone. I went along hoping I'd be safe. I wasn't.
    Anonymous

• We have definitaly changed our attitude on cell phones recently. If they are used correctly (like for emergancies) then they are fine in my book. It's kids like my sister, who racked up a 600 dollar phone bill calling her friend down the street (when using the houseline would have been free), that make a bad impression on giving kids cell phones.

My youngest is deaf. DH and I are already thinking about when we'll need to give him a cell phone so we can text him for emergancies and such. Not like he can call from a payphone or anything.
    Kenre

Answer by Kenre at 6:06 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• Yeah, you can always get prepaid phones that only have as much minutes as you've already paid for; and even if all the minutes are used, they still function to call 911
    Anonymous

• Like I said in the other cell phone post....
    My kids won't have cell phones that can call or text anyone but me, my DH, my parents and 911 until they can pay the bills themselves....
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 8:34 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• the da could very well uphold the charges for several reasons. the daughter is a witness, albeit a young one, and perhaps not so reliable, but so is the patrolman who pulled her over. if he witnessed the weaving and her reaction to medication, then his word is ironclad. secondly, the medication would have a label on it, describing ALL possible symptoms. there are lots of little bottles out there that say use caution before operating a car or heavy machinery, for this very reason. drug companies are very careful about protecting their butts. it was the mother's responsibility to read any and all labels on all of her medication. they would have to prove that she was indeed under the influence of that medication, but usually visual signs are what they go on. she might not get more than a fine, though, since no one was hurt. california is weird sometimes, and they like throwing the book at people.
    AngryBob

Answer by AngryBob at 3:16 AM on Feb. 6, 2010