Why is it that when I was a kid we always got to lick the bowl after my mom made a cake, but now people totally freak about it?

I get that there are raw eggs in there, and that there is a chance of food poisoning, but in all my years of licking the bowl or eating raw cookie dough I managed to survive...is it really THAT bad?

gramsmom

Asked by gramsmom at 4:36 PM on Feb. 5, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Like Alton Brown from Good Eats says, "Your kids are more likely to get salmonella poisoning chasing and catching frogs and lizards than from eating a raw egg." Let kids be kids and stop freaking out.

AngelDawn7

Answer by AngelDawn7 at 11:32 AM on Feb. 6, 2010

• I didn't know people were freaking out about it. I let my kids do it all the time.
    AngelDawn7

Answer by AngelDawn7 at 4:38 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• ive heard that too but i still let my daughter do it.
    Tummysmomma

Answer by Tummysmomma at 4:40 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• I am a freaker! I was even as as kid, as soon as I found out about salmonella. I do agree, I have never met anyone who got sick from it though.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 4:41 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• I do it. Cookie dough was a stable food during collage. My girls love to lick the spoon and bowls. Yes there is a risk but I don't think it is great enough for me worry about the spoon.

DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 4:45 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• I'm with most everyone else. I don't let my daughter, whos not quite 2 yet, do it, but I do it all the time lol. I will let her when she gets older, though.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 4:50 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• I didn't realize people freaked about it now. DH and I alwasy share the licking the bowl duties! And when DS is old enough (he's only 7 months now) he'll probably want in on that action too. And I have no problem with that. I've never been sick from it.
    Katt709

Answer by Katt709 at 5:14 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• Not only do I let them lick the bowl when I'm done, I let them lick the beaters after I release them from the mixer. The only problem I've ever had is only having 2 beaters and 3 kids, which means I have to dirty an extra beater I didn't use.

It never made me nervous and I don't care if anyone freaks out about it. Crap, I was 1 tablespoon away from finishing the jar of JIF peanut butter when they came out with their salmonella notice. I had the "infected" jar and fared fine, so I'll take my chances on the raw eggs.
    momtotrips

Answer by momtotrips at 5:33 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• My kids have to fight me for the bowl..Obviously I don't freak out about it.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 5:40 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• I don't freak about it, but mine don't eat any raw egg products at all. I would feel HORRIBLE if my kid got salmonella and got really ill because I thought it was ok for them to eat raw cookie dough or batter. They can wait til it's cooked and eat it then IMO.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 7:56 PM on Feb. 5, 2010