is it safe to travel by car 3 hours away

i will be 36 weeks when we go from carthage ms to memphis tennesee, next weekend. i just wonder if i am cutting it too close. i am having a normal pregnancy no complications or anything. i went to new orleans last week with no problems and it was a 4.5 hour drive. what do you ladies think?

cano

Asked by cano at 5:12 PM on Feb. 5, 2010 in Pregnancy

• If you are comfortable sitting for that long in one position. I don't see the problem. I had DS at 36 weeks and by then I was horribly uncomfortable because my hips were spreading too much. But if everything is normal, and you are up to it, sure go. But know where the hospitals are along the way just in case!
    Anonymous

• it is safe. just make a stop to move around and get your blood circulating. have fun.
    Anonymous

• You could always check with your Dr. too.
    Anonymous

• You can always have your doc/ midwife check to make sure you haven't started dilating and your cervix is still tight before you go. If you look like you could go into labor upon inspection, hold off.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 5:28 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• If it was a trip just for fun I wouldn't do it. If you do have problems and have to give birth that far away it would make life very complicated. The baby could have to be in the NICU and you could have to be discharged without your baby. You would have to drive back and forth or stay in a hotel. Your family and friends may not be able to be around or help much.

Most babies born at 36 weeks do spend some time in the NICU.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 5:38 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• thanks ladies!
    cano

Answer by cano at 5:56 PM on Feb. 5, 2010