How to calcuate the months?

Ok, this is probably a stupid question. How do you calculate how many months you are? Since there is technically 10 months, but everyone says 9.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:19 PM on Feb. 5, 2010 in Pregnancy

• You calculate it from the first day of your last period
    acollins09

Answer by acollins09 at 5:21 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• 40 weeks from your last menstrual cycle. 40 weeks is considered full term - you technically didn't get pregnant when you started your last period, that's just a good way for the drs to track it since every woman can ovulate at a different time and there's really no way to know when you actually got pregnant. There are pregnancy calculators online that will do the math for you.

Answer by missanc at 5:28 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• There are 4 weeks in a month. So you start counting from the beginning of your last period. I hope that helps.

Anonymous

• What I did was count backwards from my due date. With my last baby I was due June 5, so on April 5 I considered myself 7 months, on Jan 5 I was 4 months. It doesn't quite work with the weeks, because most months have more than 28 days, but it worked out so I was 9 months pregnant on my due date. There are 10 lunar months in a pregnancy and that's where the confusion comes in, because a lunar month is not the same as a calendar month.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 6:11 PM on Feb. 5, 2010