For those who went to college (and got their degree)...

How many of you are working in your field of study (or worked, if you now stay home)? Or doing something related to your major?

I studied graphic design, but never made a career out of it (I didn't like desktop publishing and the field was too competitive for me). I worked in it for a while, but mostly the production side of it, never the creative. I did, however, work at a few ad agencies, but I worked in media and with numbers (which, I thought was so ironic). I also worked in marketing dept.'s of a few companies, but was doing clerical-type work.

Also, my sil has her degree in Elem. Ed, but she never got a teacher job; she works in insurance!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:35 PM on Feb. 5, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I got an accounting degree, and now I'm a CPA. I've been working in my field of study since I graduated.
    Anonymous

• working for social services and getting my phd in psychiatry
    LynnB1

Answer by LynnB1 at 5:40 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• My degree is in broadcast journalism and most of my career has been spent in it, with the exception of a few years when I worked in broadcast news technology and then radio sales and promotion.

Answer by gdiamante at 5:42 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• I got my degree in biology and also took classes to become a registered tech vech. I worked in a pet store-and used my knowlegde daily. I then became a dog groomer and used my knowledge in that as well. I am not a SAHM with MANY pets and also foster for a rescue and I still use what I learned in school all the time-I just don't get paid for it now-lol.
    Carajust

Answer by Carajust at 5:43 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• I got my bachelors in Early Childhood. I taught PreK for 10 years before becoming a stay at home mom. I guess you could still say that I am using my degree.
    Anonymous

• i studied nursing and worked as a nurse for about 17 years then became disables
    mom2snsb

Answer by mom2snsb at 5:47 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• I got an accounting degree but never was able to land any type of accounting job so I didn't sit for the CPA exam. People I met in that field were snobby and nasty. I worked in insurance (before my twins) which didn't require a degree. Now all we have to show for my college education is the monthly loan bill.
    Anonymous

• I got a degree in political science but, unfortunately, graduated in 2009 (the year that has been called "the worst year for college graduates since the Great Depression"). So I am currently unemployed. But that suits me just fine, for now. I am enjoying being a stay at home mom. I plan on looking for full time work in government or a nonprofit when my child goes to school.
    Iskkra

Answer by Iskkra at 5:53 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• I started out wanting to be a broadcast journalist but changed my mind about half way through my bachelors degree program. I graduated with a B.A. in communications and started my own business which has nothing to do with my degree. I'm returning to law school to finish my requirements for my J.D. but I'm pretty sure I won't work in law right after I graduate either. I'm pretty much a jack of all trades and don't want to limit myself to doing one job for the rest of my life.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 6:32 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• graduated from nursing school and been working as a nurse ever since
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 6:42 PM on Feb. 5, 2010