How good is Proactive for acne? Buy it or skip it?

I am considering buying Proactive skin care products for my 13 year old, but I wanted to hear some opinions from real people first. So, what do you think? Is it worth the cost? Would you try this before making an appointment with a dermatologist?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:35 PM on Feb. 5, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• There are cheaper versions of proactive on the market. My daughter has light acne and when she uses it, it works.
    My youngest son is 12 (13 in July) and I just bought some Clean & Clear face wash for the shower to use at night at some astrigent to use in the morning. Its helped clear things up. If those simple OTC items don't work then a trip to the doc or derm. is in order.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 5:42 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• it depends on the severity...it doesnt work good at all.....but i'm sure for a very mild acne it could possibly do some good.....other than that it doesnt do much
    LynnB1

Answer by LynnB1 at 5:38 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• Before you spend a ton of money on Proactive I would suggest using Mary Kay's Velocity skin care products with a blemish contol toner. It works great even on really bad cases. It doesn't cost a tone of money. For all 3 products you will spend about 40
    coala

Answer by coala at 5:43 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• Someone posted today that it didn't work. Just take him to the dermatologist and see what he says. I had terrible acne and the dermatologist helped keep me from scarring badly

Answer by admckenzie at 5:45 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• I bought it for both myself and my oldest DD. Neither one of us had it bad but it did nothing for us...
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 5:57 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• I'd like to know of some good products myself. I still get acne and I'm almost 25. I've been using oxyclean acne face wash and then putting a baking powder/water paste on my face afterwards followed by a non-oil moisturizer. The baking powder/water paste is actually helping to clear it up, but I still have blemishes here and there. I'm seriously considering getting a tanning membership just to clear it up although UV exposure isn't good either. LOL.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 6:06 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• Here is how my teen handles her acne: wash your face twice a day with a very mild soap (like unscented baby soap) and a soft wash cloth; follow with a light, oil free moisturizer (she uses Lush). Once a day, before you wash your face, put on a honey mask (just honey, a great anti-bacterial). Every three days add a pinch of baking soda to the honey to exfoliate. Check back with me in two weeks and tell me how this worked. Add hemp caps, or another good omega supplement.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:53 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• For us, it seemed to work really well at first, and then it was as if our skin got immune to it, because it just wasn't doing it for us anymore. We switch brands now every time we run out of one product. Guess that's just our finicky skin...
    GoodMomma24-7

Answer by GoodMomma24-7 at 10:25 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• Dawn anti-bacterial dish soap worked great for our boys. Ran out of shampoo one day and kept forgetting to buy more, at end of week acne was cleared up. If you are sensitive to soaps it may dry skin, but otherwise works really well.
    higherboundmom

Answer by higherboundmom at 11:29 AM on Feb. 6, 2010

• I bought it for my 13 year old daughter and it did nothing for her. I know those infomercials seem so convicing...higherboundmom are you kidding or are you serious?
    Anonymous