anyone else have a very hyperactive child??

my son has TONS AND TONS of energy. i swear if i didn't make him go to bed at night he'd stay up all night running in circles. anyway, sometimes he doesn't know when to stop. if new people come over he gets CRAZY. and yeah i know hes excited and is showing off.. but he takes it way overboard. my cousin came over the other night and he got a little too comfortable with her and started throwing pillows at her and jumping on her. i would try telling him that she doesn't want to play with him if hes not playing nice.. but he would go right back to doing the same thing. time out didnt work either. and even when it's just me, him and my dad at home. he goes crazy and starts screaming in jibberish. it gets on my nerves!!! i need some suggestions on how to deal with my very hyperactive son. PLEASEEEE!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:37 PM on Feb. 5, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• we have a pool and a trampoline and a basketball hoop. Boys can be like dogs, you have to run them and wear them out. People are so quick to label kids instead of seeing the energy as a positive thing. channel his energy, keep him busy, he may be the next olympic gold medal winner
    writeon

Answer by writeon at 5:44 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• Try to redirect his energy. He probably can't calm down, so point him to an active (but not destructive or dangerous) activity.
    quietsmilie

Answer by quietsmilie at 5:50 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• Is he getting enough sleep. Sometimes over active children can just be overtired. Is he getting between 11-12 hrs. a night. Also watch the diet and make sure there is little sugar ect. But do remember boys at that age are exteremly active, I have one myself!
    mazonmom

Answer by mazonmom at 9:42 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• Oh I should add make sure he is getting discipline. If he is doing things that are inappropriate and he is given one warning there should be some type of consequence (time out or toy taken away ect).
    mazonmom

Answer by mazonmom at 9:44 PM on Feb. 5, 2010