Alcohol and pregnancy

ok, I just had a doctors appt today and found out I'm about 12 weeks pregnant. I went out with a bunch of friends last week for a b-day party and got drunk off of tequila :( I am sick to my stomach wondering what I could have done to the baby. Of course it was a surprise and me and dh are dealing with it but I want to know if I hurt my baby in anyway. Please, no bashing I truly did not know and would never drink while pregnant.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:39 PM on Feb. 5, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I wouldnt' worry about fetal alcohol syndrome usually happens by drinking over time, it's not going to a be from just a one night binger. Babies aren't as fragile as we think
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 5:56 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• i would of brought that up to your doctor while you were there and heard what the doctor had to say... i'm sure the doc isn't going to dis own you as a patient for that happening. talk to your doctor
    MommyBulger

Answer by MommyBulger at 5:40 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• I was in the same situation, and my DD is just fine. Have you contacted the doctor and scheduled an ultrasound yet? Believe me I know how you feel, and I know it is easier said than done but try not to worry until there is something to worry about.
    tishalb

Answer by tishalb at 5:41 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• I'm sure your baby is fine. You're not the first person who didn't know they were pregnant and got drunk.  Now that you know you you can take care of yourself. Congratulations!

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 5:42 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• Every mom and every baby are different. If fetal alcohol syndrome runs in your family then I think you have real cause to worry. Science doesn't know everything about alcohol and pregnancy. There seems to be a genetic component but no one knows for sure.

The best thing you can do now is to take your vitamins, eat well, and drink plenty of water. Worrying won't make anything better. Foods high in omega fatty acids, folic acid, and antioxidants are said to have brain boosting properties for your little one.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 5:46 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• Thanks mamas! and thanks for being so understanding
    Anonymous

• I had the same situation with my ds and he is perfectly healthy. I'm sure this happens a lot. I wouldn't worry.
    jenae_gist

Answer by jenae_gist at 6:13 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• There is a small risk that something could've happened, but most likely, the baby will come out fine. It's amazing what an embryo or fetus can survive. I fell off my road bike right before finding out I was pregnant, and then got into a car accident at about 15 weeks. I have a healthy 17 month old now!
    Try not to stress out or beat yourself up, and of course, just keep away from the booze for the rest of the pregnancy. Sounds like you're well on your way to being a great mommy! =)
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 2:19 AM on Feb. 6, 2010