How much do you let your child get away with?

I try not to make a huge deal about every little thing my son does wrong.. but some days it seems like im telling him NO more than anything. i think maybe i don't know what is considered a big deal, and what is considered a not so big deal. Here are some examples: He shoots people with his nerf gun, i tell him no. he grabbed a pair of pants and swung them around in circles knocking things over, i told him no. he puts his hand in the lego box and swirls them around making a very loud and aggravating sound. i tell him no. he slams his truck/other toys against the wall. i tell him no. am i being too harsh?? i feel like my son only knows me as the lady who always says no!! help!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:45 PM on Feb. 5, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• take him to an empty baseball field and let him fetch a frisbee or ball or something, seriously, you need to wear him out.
    writeon

Answer by writeon at 5:47 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• that is a great idea.... winter really sucks...everyone is stuck inside!
    MommyBulger

Answer by MommyBulger at 5:48 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• you are right these things are annoying and should not be doen.
    mom2snsb

Answer by mom2snsb at 5:48 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• "The average toddler hears the word no an astonishing 400 times a day, according to experts. That's not only tiresome for you but it can also be harmful to your child: "

This is the beginning of a great article about ways of getting toddlers to cooperate without resorting to saying no all the time. Here is the link.

http://www.webmd.com/parenting/features/say-no-without-saying-no
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 5:50 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• I agree with writeon....Our boys are so tired at the end of the day that they fall asleep once their head hits the pillow, so I agree that your son needs some outside play time.
    Also saying no is one thing, but giving him consequences if he's not listening is another. Ours will stand at the wall for the amount of time equal to their age. They will also lose something for a certain period of time until they can show that they want to earn it back, like the wii, dirtbike, etc.. So in other words, a special toy... You have to stick to your word, or he will never listen to you because he knows he can get away with it...
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 5:53 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• I think we've all been there. For the first two years I think my dd thought her name was "NO" but we got past it. She does still occasionally do things to get a rise outta me, but I think for the most part she is doing better. I have to constantly remind myself that her 4yr old brain is not like my 37yr old brain. I get that slamming her batman car into the wall seems fun, but I have to set boundaries and age appropriate rules to let her know that is only OK outside.
    AngelaKeeling

Answer by AngelaKeeling at 5:57 PM on Feb. 5, 2010