How did you cope with moving to a new town?

My family will soon be moving out of state, to have a better chance at good jobs and better housing prices. We have already visited the area we will be moving to, but only once. We have some family in the new area but they are all prettty busy, so when we move we'll pretty much be on our own. Both my DH and I grew up in the town we're in now - neither one of us has ever lived anywhere else. As the moving date gets closer, we are both starting to get a little nervous - new place, no friends, no "safety net" of parents nearby, no idea where the hell everything is... Its getting a little scary. Any advice from those who have uprooted to a new place?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:49 PM on Feb. 5, 2010 in Just for Fun

• We moved to where we are now about 2 years ago and I was really nervous.. Mostly because I didn't know where anything was. Well now I know pretty much where everything is and if I get turned around I hit "home" on my GPS and it takes me right there...
    As for not knowing anyone, I have met a few Parents from our boys being in school, and playing sports. I try to be friendly but not desperate to meet new people... I focus on our kids, our home, dogs, and help out at school when they need me... Just relax , you will have your kids, and Hubby to lean on, and it may bring you closer because of it.. If you're into church that's a good place to meet new people and get to know your town. I'm sure you will be fine...
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 6:01 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• I've uprooted so many times....the most difficult move was going to Germany from California. Going to a completely different country was a certain culture shock. But in all honesty I've moved so many times I just enjoyed the new scenery....I got out and about in town, learned the language and met people. It's nice to go out, get to know the scenery and town and get yourself acquainted. It can be scary but its so nice learning about a new place.
    LynnB1

Answer by LynnB1 at 6:04 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• I've lived in several cities in Indiana and then we made the big move to Tucson. I had to move to Tucson for medical reasons and I was lucky that all 3 of my sons wanted to move to Tucson.

If you have young children it's easy to meet people. You can find groups according to your kids ages. Libraries have story hours and usually have info on organizations. There are support groups for moms of babies and little kids. For older kids there are sports and scouts, ect. You can meet people at these activies. You can also volunteer for things like animal rescue organizations, civic organizations, whatever.

Get a good map of the city and go to yard sales. You will learn the city and meet people. Get a dog from a rescue organization and go to the dog park or local dog hangout. You may get exercise and you'll meet dog people. Go to new places to eat and shop.

Best wishes!
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 6:05 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• I've had to do it several times over the years. The first time was the hardest, from NorCal to SoCal. I was single then and most of my friends were people I worked with. I spent a lot of time getting to know San Diego, and met my husband. The year after we married, we moved to the Central Coast, where again we didn't know anyone. We made a point of getting out and about and learning our new town. Three years after that we moved to our current home.

It's pretty much always the same pattern. Get to know the place. Find the things that are important to you: Work, church, school, libraries, parks. The rest will follow. Best way to meet people you'll like is to go to places that attract your type of people.

Answer by gdiamante at 6:08 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• Military, I have moved more then I would like. First get to know your neighbors, find one or two that are friendly and ask them to give the low down. Get a city map or a navigator thingy. Find the workforce commission or scour the want ad. The local library will have info and the Liberians usually are very helpful with all sorts of info. The city and city parks and recreation websites usually have activities and good info. Be active in the kids activities and schools. Put yourself out there and you will make new friends which will give you a support network. You and your hubby will learn to rely on each other more and build a stronger relationship. After a few months it will start feeling like home. The unknown is always scary, force yourself to make in known and the fear will disappear.

DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 6:20 PM on Feb. 5, 2010