Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Terminating Parent Rights

I was wondering if anyone (peferable from KS) knows how to terminate a parents rights. My son's biological dad has never been in his life, or paid child support. He is in jail right now for drug chargers, and contempt of court for a year. With a years probation after he is released. I've talked to the court house, lawyers, etc. but no one seems to want to help me figure this out.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 5:53 PM on Feb. 5, 2010 in General Parenting

Answers (7)
  • If the courts and lawyers can't help, what makes you think that we can? The only thing I can think of is to get him to sign away his parental rights. Even if you prove him to be unfit, he will still be allowed supervised visitation and things like that.

    Answer by lowencope at 6:01 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

  • you will have to get an attorney to get his rights terminated if he won't willingly do it. He will have had to not pay child support for 6 months & not visited the child in 6 months.

    Answer by ZaTa at 6:11 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

  • I've had the same problem.. If I call the court house, they tell me to consult an attorney, when I call the attorney, they tell me to talk to the family court office, then they send me somewhere else. I don't understand why no one can answer my questions! And believe me, I've tried many ways.. I've been nice, I've been stern, I've been a flat out bitch, and it's made no difference.
    I wish I could be more help, but at least know that you're not alone. My daughters bio dad has even been in jail for the same charges.. Good luck.. I hope some one on here has been through it and can tell you the steps..

    Answer by Megs5384 at 6:15 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

  • maybe call the jail and ask them there? GOOD LUCK

    Answer by mommymeg03 at 6:22 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

  • Im not from KS so I can only tell you what happened for me in TX. My DD was born in 1999. Her bio father left me homeless and alone when I was 6 months pregnant. Long story short..I survived and am now married to a wonderful, loving man. He has been her 'Daddy' since she was 3. I couldn't even find the bio father to ask him to give her up. I was STUPID and put his name on the birth certificate. The Attorney Generals office told me I had to try to find him because of the PA I had recieved for 2 years while I was in school. They found him in jail in NM for grand theft auto. He refused to sign anything. The AG filed to have his rights terminated on grounds of abandonment. She was 27 months old and he had never seen her, held her, sent a card, letter or email. The jusge signed it about two weeks later. My husband adopted her. I hope it works out for you too.

    Answer by Anonymous at 6:31 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

  • I don't think you can terminate his rights bc he's not a nice guy. Apply for child support through the state and they will get it out of him meanwhile you don't suffer.

    Answer by admckenzie at 6:49 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

  • MY nephews BIO dad had his rights terminated. HE iniated the process, and my brother was able to adopt them... Intersting twist, the BIO dad could have gone after them for REPAYMENT of the child support he paid for the boys

    I had my oldest sons's name legally changed in 1988. I had to post in the LEGAL section of the newspaper in areas where once lived and in the area I lived in. IF he didnt respond within 90 days, the JUDGE signs the order. OF course the judge in my case gave him 6 months to respond. He still didnt respond and the JUDGE signed the order.....

    Answer by PestPatti at 10:50 AM on Feb. 6, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.