Do you think some of us just aren't meant to be moms of newborns?

I sucked at being a good mom when my daughter was a newborn and small baby. Now that she's a toddler, I have so much more fun with her. I just didn't enjoy her when she was a newborn. Maybe I'm not cut out for the newborn stage. Hmmm. But we have to go through it anyway, right? =)

caitxrawks

Asked by caitxrawks at 6:29 PM on Feb. 5, 2010 in Just for Fun

• lol
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 6:30 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• I was a great mom to newborns and toddlers. It was adolescence that broke me down! Now THAT was hard work getting through that and teen years

Answer by admckenzie at 6:30 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• I know what you mean, when mine was a newborn is was hard, but I think it was just that I really didn't know what to expect even though I had worked in an infant class, and had a degree in early childhood. I think with my next I am more prepared. I do look back and wish I could do things differently, I guess it is good kids don't remember being babies, I think mine would hate me if she did.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 6:32 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• Yeah, luckily if we stink at one stage or another, they ARE just short temporary stages.

And if you're going to struggle with any stage, you probably are lucky to have it be one your kids won't remember :)
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 6:32 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• My MIL works in an old-folks home and there is a woman there who is 80 and has 4 kids, who told her that she didn't enjoy her babies at all - until they turned 2. She said she did all the things she was supposed to do - she fed them, bathed them, rocked them to sleep, sang to them -but she just didn't enjoy them until they were 2- at which point she loved them and could have a great deal of fun with them.

I personally can't identify with that, as I'm a baby person, but I suppose some people just don't enjoy dealing with the first stage of infant life.

ladysavage

Answer by ladysavage at 6:35 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• Yes! I didn't enjoy babies as much as toddlers. I don't know how women do it without magic milky and the breastfeeding hormones oxytocin and prolactin and endorphins.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 6:41 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• I was great with newborns and toddlers. It's the over 7's I'm having trouble with.
    Anonymous

• Many of us should never have reproduced...

Answer by rkoloms at 6:47 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• I don't know how anyone could not be meant for a newborn. Mothers take care of their babies by instinct, I though. I think 99.9% of women do fine with it.
    Anonymous

• I do think that! I totally don't like babies. They are the necessary evil to get to the fun toddler and older stages. The older my kids get, the more I like them. Babies are too needy and they cry too much. Communicating with a baby is impossible. I much prefer them once they are mobile and talking. Luckily, hubby was great with the kids when they were tiny. He stayed home while I worked. It worked well for us.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 6:52 PM on Feb. 5, 2010