does your 3yr old eat by themselves?

my son is 3 and he eats a lot of things by himself.. but when it comes to something messy.. like pancakes with syrup, i tend to just feed him myself to avoid the mess. or if im in a hurry i'll also just feed him myself. anyone else do the same? or should i let him try to eat the messy things himself?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:30 PM on Feb. 5, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• let him do it... i do and when they are done i get a wash clothe and clean them up and off they go... they like being independent
    MommyBulger

Answer by MommyBulger at 6:35 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• my daughter did it all herself..how are they supposed to learn if you dont let them..yaaa the mess sucks...lol...but..thats part of parenthood..aside from that kids loooove to get messy and sticky and dirty..lol
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 6:38 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• Let him do it himself. If he is in preschool or daycare, they will NOT feed him. He is too old for you to be feeding him.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 6:39 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• let him get messy. my 2yr old feeds himself, all i can say is thank goodness for baby wipes, lol.
    proudmomma777

Answer by proudmomma777 at 6:47 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• no, my 2 and 4 year old feed themselves. sometimes they take too long to eat and i'll feed them if we're rushing, but they feed themselves most of the time.
    rAbella

Answer by rAbella at 6:47 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• My TWO year old eats by herself, and has since she was 18 months.
    Anonymous

• my dd has been eating by herself since she was 12 mts. kids get messy thats what water and soap is for!! or wipes
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 7:05 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• I always let my boys do that early on. Around 1 1/2 or 2. BUT, I put a lot less syrup or sauce or whatever is the messy part on there. And at first we would only do it before bath time so the mess didn't matter much.
    BiloxiDreams

Answer by BiloxiDreams at 9:10 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• My kids have fed themselves everything since they were between 12-18 months old. It's what washcloths & the bathtub are for.
    Anonymous

• my kids fed themselves from when they were around 18 months. as soon as I started feeding them I gave a spoon.

are you really that worried about a mess? thats what bathtubs are for!

you need to back off and let him do it himself! how'll he learn if you won't let him???
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 5:10 PM on Feb. 6, 2010