Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

First year claiming a dependent on taxes

I am So confused, I think I am going to have to get my taxes done, but I thought It would be easy enough. I worked before having my baby, and made under 4,000 and since the birth I have not worked. Can I still claim anything having only made that much? I dont think I will get money back, but I need to have an income tax return in order to apply for a FASFA for my final year of college. someone i know told me that you have to make over 9,000 to fill out taxes, but i also have a dependent so I am just real confused. can anyone simply tell me?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 6:43 PM on Feb. 5, 2010 in Money & Work

Answers (7)
  • DawnA72

    Answer by DawnA72 at 6:46 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

  • well according to that I do not need to file a tax return but in order to get any help for school i NEED a tax return, that is basically what fasfa is used for. WTF am i gonna do.

    Answer by Anonymous at 7:01 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

  • No on the fafsa form you can put will not file, or you could just FILE YOUR TAXES...

    Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 7:26 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

  • okay lol..well i want to file them, someone told me that you have to make a certain amount to do so...sorry i sound real dumb i just usually do not handle my taxes.

    Answer by Anonymous at 7:31 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

  • You can always file if you want to. And assuming that you can claim your child as a dependent you'll probably get something back even if it isn't much.

    GOOD LUCK :)

    Answer by Anonymous at 7:56 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

  • Turbo has a free form for filing your just need your information and they guide you through the rest and will tell you if you even need to file your taxes.Besides you might qualify for the child tax credit and not even know it unless you file.Its a 1000 back per child if you qualify so wouldn't that be worth a shot?But be sure you do the free edition not the deluxe they charge for that one!!

    Answer by barndogsgrl at 10:26 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

  • I'd go to something easy like You'll more than likely get money back because you made so little and you have a dependant. I've always filed taxes; even when I was 15 and only worked odd hours at my fast food job.

    I use to be an assistant in the Financial Aid office at my college and you really don't need to file taxes to do a FAFSA; it just makes it a lot easier to fill out. If you are still unsure, go to your local library and they usually host help for filing them on the weekends (usually Saturday).

    Answer by things_not_sane at 10:27 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.