Preschooler Eating but Not Swallowing

I am not sure where to even begin. My 2.8 year old has always been a good eater and even when she doesn't want to try something if I tell her she has to take at least one bite she will (and with minimal fuss). The issue I have run into within this last week and a half is that she will take a bite of whatever and then leave it in her mouth for several minutes (even over 10 minutes). She will sometimes drink with it in her mouth and manage to swallow the liquid but not the liquified food. She will also talk with it in her mouth, somehow holding it under her tongue. I have no clue how to start attacking this issue because I have no idea why she is doing it. I thought that maybe she was not really hungry but when she would finally swallow it she would say that she was not done eating and still sit there eating slowly. Is this common? Any idea why she does this or what I should do to deal with it?

Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:53 PM on Feb. 5, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Don't make her eat things she doesn't want to eat.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 6:55 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• ugghh... that's my oldest daughter too. she's 4 now and has been eating that way for soooo long (i don't even remember when it started). meals take so much longer to end. she just chews the food for several minutes then stores it in her cheeks. i tell her she eats like a hamster. i get so frustrated that i end up feeding her myself and i have to remind her to swallow after almost every bite. and this is EVERY meal, not just with foods she doesn't like. if you find a solution, let me know. because my daughter is getting some serious cavities from storing the food in her cheeks during her meals.
    rAbella

Answer by rAbella at 7:00 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• LOL I think it must be a phase. My little boy does that. He will chew up all his food, then store it in his cheeks. I think he just wants all the flavor, and his eyes are bigger than his stomach. I would just not let your child leave the table or high chair till you check her mouth. My son is so used to me he just now spits out his mushed up food. Gross, but if I dont do that he will walk around...drink..play..with food still in his mouth. Im afraid he will choke. My girls never did this...so this is new for me. I hope he out grows it.
    peachwine

Answer by peachwine at 11:38 AM on Feb. 6, 2010