What age should children be given chores?? I mean picking up their toys not dishes or laundry.

My oldest will pick up his toys only if he gets something in return. I guess they learn that at an early age considering he is only 3.

jessica408us

Asked by jessica408us at 7:18 PM on Feb. 5, 2010 in General Parenting

• My kids both picked up toys from about 18-19 months. They each cleaned their rooms starting at the age of 3. I help when need be, but they do most of the work themselves. I also do not give a reward for doing it, it is just something that is expected as being part of the family and helping out. They are 5 and 3 1/2 now and know it is something that we do everyday and they don't mind doing it.
    Carajust

Answer by Carajust at 7:42 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• My son had to help picking up his toys before he was 2
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 7:19 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• I would hire anyone who used 4 letter words in every answer... the more the better.
    Anonymous

• My 19 mo picks up her toys w/o asking her to sometimes other times I have to keep redirecting her. I don't bribe. I just say "lets pick up the toys".
    coala

Answer by coala at 7:20 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• OMG! Anon :19 here.

I was posting an answer to the Jersey Shore question... some how it ended up here.

Im sooooooo sorry Jessica!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Anonymous

• lol Anon its ok btw I think Jersey Shore is a terrible tv show but that is only my opinion. And to everybody else I just feel a little guilty needing them to clean up after themselves But we are having another child in May so cleaning and picking up toys is getting a little harder With one child it wasn't as bad but with two its a little harder to keep up. I just don't want them growing up walking all over me thinking they don't have to clean up after themselves.

jessica408us

Answer by jessica408us at 7:47 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• My daughter- now 19 months old- has been picking up her toys since she was 13 months old. I give her lots of help and encourement, though. I don't expect her to do it by herself at this age.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 8:13 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• encouragement**
    Fallaya

• guilty for making your kids clean up their toys?

mine do and have since they learned how to spread them out. they tidy their rooms and take the laundry downstairs, put the laundry away, small stuff that kids can handle.

my 3 year old cleaned her room the other day - it ended up all in her closet but we don't have toys in bedrooms so it was her blankets and stuffies. lol
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 8:22 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• Both my kids help pick up their toys, and they are 3yrs & 23months
    Mom_of_2_boyz87

Answer by Mom_of_2_boyz87 at 8:37 PM on Feb. 5, 2010