Would you call CPS on your neighbor...

If you lived in a townhouse and saw your neighbor go next door to the corner store and leave their child in the house, would you call CPS on them?Oh and you know that this person is the only adult in the house.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:56 PM on Feb. 5, 2010 in Just for Fun

• how old is the kid?
    Anonymous

• No, if they went next door and weren't gone long I think it is none of your business, and do you know for sure nobody else is there at the time with the kids?
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 7:58 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• How about offering to watch the child when she has to run out like that?
    Anonymous

• No, absolutely not. Maybe the child was napping, and she felt it was ok to leave him/her for a few minutes while she ran to the store. Who knows. I sometimes run out to the laundry room while my daughter is sleeping in her crib. It's certainly not a crime.

If you are REALLY concerned for the child, then why not do what anon 801 says, offer to keep an eye on her child when she has to make a quick trip to the store?

Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 8:05 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• I agree if u want to do something then offer your help. Let her know that u will watch the kids for her next time.
    officerdouglas

Answer by officerdouglas at 8:05 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• Depends....i try not to pry in others business...esp. if your not positive the cihld is alone. If you have sat and paid attention long enough to REALLY know that no one else is in the house...then you pay too much attention to your neighbors...but aside from that...how old is the child...
    Anonymous

• I have a downstairs neighbor, and when he is outside having a smoke, I'll ask him to keep an eye on my apt while I run to the laundry room. My daughter is always sleeping when I take care of the laundry. He sits on the steps leading to my apartment while he has his smoke, and I go do my errand. It works out great.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 8:07 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• I really think it is none of your business. My mom was a single parent after my dad died and sometimes it was necessary for her to leave my sister and I alone. I was always alone for 45 minutes to an hour after I got off the bus when I was nine. I would just watch TV or play outside.
    Gecko85

Answer by Gecko85 at 8:23 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• OP here- There are 2 kids ages 5 and 2.
    Anonymous

• In the state I live,you can't leave a child in a car for a second w/o someone calling the cops. It is also a crime to leave a sleeping child home alone too. We live in Indiana. Yeah,I would call the cops,especially if the child was under 8 yrs old or even older if they are impulsive(ADD/ADHD etc) Do it! A 5 yr old can't take care of a two yr old let alone themselves!
    Anonymous