Sleeping 6 month old

My daughter is six months.. I have to admit I did a bad job of getting her to sleep on her own from the beginning.. i held her a lot. i read the no cry sleep solution book and did it for a week or so but then i just got so tired i would rock her or nurse her or just bring her in bed with me. anyway, now its a nightmare. she DOES NOT have any clue of how to put herself to sleep. sometimes she gets soo overtired she goes crazy and once she is asleep shewill get up in a half hour. pediatrician told me to let her cry it out the whole night but another doctor told me they have dont studies and it can cause depression in babies and also 10times more likely to have adhd when older. one night i let her cry for 3 hours and when i went in she was shaking and it took another 2 hours to get her back to sleep. so i will take any advice at this point, desperate.. in need of sleep.. HELPP

annie27713

Asked by annie27713 at 7:59 PM on Feb. 5, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

Level 1 (-1 Credits)
  • What you do is let her cry for 15 mins then check on her then 30 mins, 45, an hour so on, that way you can soothe her, but she can learn to do it herself. Also a pacifier works well in these cases.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 8:03 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• You have done nothing wrong. A 6 month old is not supposed to be able to put themselves to sleep on their own. Is there a reason as to why you don't want to continue to rock/nurse your baby to sleep? You may want to read some of the research based articles here on infant sleep for more information: http://www.naturalchild.org/articles/sleeping.html

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 8:26 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• At about six months I wanted my DD to sleep in her own room in her crib. Until that point she had slept in a bassinet next to me or in bed with me, was held a lot when she slept, etc, so I know where you are coming from. What I did was establish a night time routine- bath, bottle, story, song, then bed. Then I would put her down in her crib and come out of the room and set my kitchen timer for 2 minutes. Then when it went off I would go in and soothe her- sometimes picking her up to hold her, or just patting her back, etc until she was calm again, then I would leave, reset the timer, and then go in again after two minutes. I couldn't take listening to the crying for long, and I worried what it would do to leave her to just cry, plus the longer my DD cries the more worked up she gets and then it makes it worse. Read up about different approaches and then try to take the best of everything and make your own routine. Good luck.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 8:28 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• Also, a pacifier and/or special blanket or toy really helps- maybe one of your old nightgowns or t-shirts that smells like you.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 8:29 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• Six months is early to expect what you're wanting. You wouldn't push her to walk before she's ready...don't push this either. Sleep is a developmental milestone. Keep doing what you WERE doing. Drop that which is not needed for survival so you get more rest for now; an unbroken night's sleep is not in the cards for...oh...a few decades. Because it will always be something! **smile** Hang in...every mom in the world goes through this!

Answer by gdiamante at 9:09 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• "What you do is let her cry for 15 mins then check on her then 30 mins, 45, an hour so on, that way you can soothe her, but she can learn to do it herself. Also a pacifier works well in these cases. "

While I agree with the pacifier...it occurs to me that the other part of this method doesn't achieve the goal of mom getting more sleep. My own experience with this method was that my son could and did stay up ALL NIGHT LONG...for several night s in a row. Yes, he was a stinker.

What WORKED? I stopped putting him down on MY schedule and followed HIS sleep cues. When he was in deep sleep, down he went. And he STAYED asleep. He did learn to fall asleep on his own...int he daytime at first and then at night. But that wasn't acheived till much much later than six months.

Answer by gdiamante at 9:11 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• You could try rocking to sleep then with every night don't rock as long. After a while, it should turn into putting a very relaxed but awake baby to sleep.
    mazonmom

Answer by mazonmom at 9:34 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• yea thanks for your help.. and suggestions.. i dnt mind getting up its just shes so tired all the time and cranky/fussy/overtired
    annie27713

Answer by annie27713 at 9:37 PM on Feb. 5, 2010