Is it ok to lift weights when you are 7 months pregnant?

I seen a woman at the gym today lifting weights. She told me she was 7 months pregnant. The thing is that she didn't even look pregnant, yet she said her Dr. was getting on her case because she was gaining too much weight. I am thinking that she is gaining muscle. Is this harmful to the baby/pregnancy?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:06 PM on Feb. 5, 2010 in Pregnancy

• No just as long as she isn't lifting too much weight and stretching beyond normal in the midsection. She could be gaining muscle but there is nothing wrong with it, they just say not to do anything that puts you flat on your back.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 8:10 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• If she is in excellent physical shape, and she has her doctor's permission, then yes, it's ok. I personally stopped lifting weights when I got pregnant. I didn't want to risk a miscarriage (long story).
    Anonymous

• As long as it's something you were doing prior to pregnancy, it's fine. Listen to your body and don't push it beyond its limits.
    jenwmuot

Answer by jenwmuot at 8:13 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• She didn't really look as if she was in a good physical condition. She was heavy, but without a "pregnant" stomach. Maybe I am just used to people looking "pregnant" at 7 months. She had no baby bump at all.
    Anonymous

• I did a weight routine through my second pregnancy - as long as you're fit enough, don't push it and can handle it. and know when to stop you're fine.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 8:18 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• A woman can definitely lift weights, as long as she is careful and safe about it. Your center of gravity is off, and relaxin (a hormone that allows the baby to pass through the birth canal, and your bones to adjust to your growing uterus) can make your ligaments and tendons stretch more than usual, increasing your risk of injury. I lifted weights through my pregnancy, and didn't have any problems.
    I don't look like someone who works out, but I do, and I have been lifting weights forever, and did so throughout pregnancy. Many women do so every day.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 2:15 AM on Feb. 6, 2010