How to be a den mother when I only have girls?

I just got called in as a den mother. I have two girls and know nothing about scouting! Yikes, what were they thinking!

kcgrant

Asked by kcgrant at 8:12 PM on Feb. 5, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• maybe they thought you would be good for the job. If I supported the boy scouts, then I'd find it as a compliment.
    Anonymous

• I was a den mother and then pack secretary. Feel free to PM me and ask anything. I LOVED it, unfortunately ds didn't. (I think I embarrassed him).
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 8:47 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• Forgive my ignorance, but how can you be a den mother when you don't even have a son in the scouting program? And for that matter, why would you want to be one? If you have girls, then I would think that you would prefer to be a girl scout leader. Also, if you are being a den mother for other people's children, how will that impact your involvement in your own children's activities? Will you be able to fully commit to do something you have no connection to, especially if it should happen to conflict with something your own daughters are involved in?
    Anonymous

• I know it's an old cliche, but: the Lord qualifies whom he calls.

People get callings all the time that seem overwhelming, or that they know nothing about...but with a calling comes heavenly aid to fulfill it. Talk to some other den mothers, go to your training, get the handbooks, and have some fun.
    Anonymous

• my parents were scout leaders for my brothers troop, and I ALWAYS had to go to their meetings. boy scouts and girl scouts aren't a whole lot different. Plan activities that revolve around earning their badges. They normally have a location to buy the materials you will need to set up guidelines as well as activity books. You can also search online for other local groups to see what they are doing as well.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:51 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• Thanks everyone. I have been involved with my girls in 4-H for years, so I'm going to try and employ some of the same organization and tactics and learn what I can.
    kcgrant

Answer by kcgrant at 2:51 PM on Feb. 8, 2010