weaning a toddler from the breast?

Ideas? My 16 month old does NOT want to wean. I would continue BFing, but she has food allergies which limit my diet and it's crippling me in culinary school and at my job as an chef's apprentice (not being able to taste what I cook, not being able to taste anything someone else cooked without knowing every single last ingredient, etc). I know it's different that weaning an infant, but I really hate the idea of vinegar on nipples because it could scare her.

soflashelley

Asked by soflashelley at 8:42 PM on Feb. 5, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Distract and delay. That's the best. When she asks to nurse offer a snack or a toy instead. Pregnancy makes 67% of toddlers wean lol ;)

Good luck, mamma!
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 8:51 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• I weaned my daughter at 16 months. She had been slowing down for awhile, but then all the sudden she wanted to nurse all the time... but I had to be gone for a long weekend when she was 15 months and she did fine. I thought maybe she wouldn't pick up again but she did... well, a month later I had to go to a conference for some job interviews and I was away for 5 days. I had intended to pump for comfort only and it turned out I didn't need to, so I guess she wasn't getting much anyway. When I got home, she still wanted to nurse but there wasn't any milk. I let her try a few times but mostly just offered her water (she still won't drink anything but water now that there's no breast milk). So leave town? I don't know what to tell you, really, except to cut out one feeding at a time, offer her alternatives. The more time she goes, the closer you are....
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 10:31 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• Don't offer, don't refuse. Try and avoid situations where she will ask to nurse. Try to anticipate and redirect her before she asks (offer a snack/drink etc.) When she does ask, don't say no. Sometimes a toddler will really freak out when you start saying no and ask to 100 times more!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 11:23 PM on Feb. 5, 2010