Are incentives in kindergarten going to far??

My son is in kindergarten and he came home today and said that he wasn't able to watch a movie in class today because of a sticker system the teacher has going on... I call her to ask what is going on and she tells me that every day a child is good in class they get a sticker and at the end of the week if they have 4 or 5 stickers they get to watch a movie. But if they don't she has them sit at a table with the tv to their backs and let the rest of the kids watch it while these other kids are sitting at the table not being able to watch it but able to hear the other kids enjoying the movie.. The whole time (30 minutes) the "BAD" kids just have to sit there and do NOTHING.. I think it is pure toture for a 5 YEAR OLD..She says my son is acting up in class.. I think he is board he has no problems with his work and is very smart.. Maybe he just doesn't like her... Either way I don't approve of this!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:47 PM on Feb. 5, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Thats what my teacher did in 2tnd grade. If we did something good she would give us fake money. If you had a certain amount of money then you got to watch the movie. For those who get to watch the movie if you have extra money you could buy push up pops and pop corn. I dont really see a problem with it. I know its not fair for those who dont get enough money/stickers but, they are supposed to be learning things. Life isnt fair.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 8:50 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• I am a teacher...and I agree with this form of discipline...but not for this length of time.

The "timeout" should be close to their age. Since he's five...five minutes should be the time he is placed at the table.

30 minutes is outrageous.

Anonymous

• What a stupid system. I would have a talk with the teacher and the principal.
    Anonymous

• i don't think that is right!! not cool! where are you?
    MommyBulger

Answer by MommyBulger at 8:51 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• I think it is totally fine, incentives are what keep a classroom under control, and earning them is usually pretty easy, I know I always gave 2nd chances to earn a sticker during the day. I doubt she doesn't like him,and schoolwork is not the only important thing at school being a contributing member of class is very important, and if his behavior is bad he shouldn't earn undeserved rewards.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 8:52 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• This may be an approved way for this teacher to gain behaviour compliance. Talk to the principal and see if it is. If it is, then your son will just have to learn to behave in class and get his stickers. Then this wouldn't be an issue.
    Anonymous

• I am a teacher. Right now I teach preschool and if we have children acting up for whatever reason we do this during our movie time. But like the above poster, they are allowed to go back to movie time after their time is served. Usually no more than five or six minutes.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 8:53 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• It can be hard for one person to manage 30 kids so the sticker system can be very effective. HOWEVER, the kids who were acting out & didn't get their stickers for the week shouldn't be made to sit w/ their backs to the movie, they should have a different activity in a different room. Expecting 5 yr olds (especially the ones that were acting out) to sit w/ their backs to the tv is unreasonable. Don't know many adults who can do that, what happens if they turn around to watch? What are those consequenses? The system she's trying to use can be very effective but she's using negative reinforcement & the stickers are supposed to be about positive reinforcement. If there's no place to send the kids that didn't earn stickers then she should turn it into a classroom challenge. This encourages peers to help those that are acting out or having a hard time concentrating.
    Unfortunatley your son will probably continue to be bored!
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 8:54 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• I agree with giving the incentives I am all for that but My huge concern is that the kids sit there for 30 minutes and I think that is a huge amount of time to just sit and get the movie rubbed in their faces! When I talked with her she told me that he had acted up 2 times while sitting at the table... And I told her yeah I would imagin that he did I don't know to many kids that wouldn't act up.. duh... she is a very young teacher (which I know for some teachers that isn't an issure) but with her I think it is, she was in HS at first then she went to kindergarten and this is her 2 year of teaching it.. She point out blank told me that she doesn't know a whole lot of ways to deal with a child that is misbehaving in class repeatedly.. I already have the school counsiler observing him to see how she could help the situation out.. I also let her know that he was on meds this week and they are making him VERY HYPER..
    Anonymous

• I don't know I just have had so many problems with this teacher that I am just getting tired of it! She is very cold with the kids never smiles and is always yelling at someone.. I ask her to help in class and she said no it was her choice.. even though the school has an open door policy.. I just can't wait for my son to get out of her class and that is sad! I am sorry but a Teacher that is teaching that young of age should be very kind and careing... These first years are what make or break a childs lover of school and to have a teacher like that is ver disturbing to me for the kids..
    Anonymous